The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all products and all products

Cryo treated tubes

Cryo treated tubes

Post by Dheick on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:09 am

Has anyone tried the cryo treated tubes? Just wondering if they are worth the few extra bucks?

Re: Cryo treated tubes

Post by ArlanB on Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:53 am

I bought a set of cryo treated Elektroharmonics KT88 a couple of years ago to try in my VTA ST120. The problem that I encountered was that they did not last long enough to make an educated evaluation. It seems that cryo treatment does not improve the quality of materials used in manufacture. As to their sound (this is only made on a 9 month period), they did not seem to have any outstanding feature, the sound was good from base to treble but nothing notable. So I have returned back to untreated tubes and the set that I now have have been in the amp for two years and I am very pleased with their performance. For those wondering, they are Penta Labs KT88SC's made by Shuguan in China, and of all four manufactures I have tried these take the cake.

Post by PeterCapo on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:46 pm

I bought a pair of JJ 12DW7 for my Stereo 35. I was not impressed with the way this particular pair sounded. Then, I sent them out for cryogenic treatment. I was not expecting a good result. But, I was very surprised to find them sounding substantially better after the cryogenic treatment. This is all the experience I have had so far with cryo’d tubes, but, based upon it, I would definitely try them again.

Last edited by PeterCapo on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:08 pm

Current date/time is Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:08 pm