The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

sp 14 pre amp

mike drinkwater

sp 14 pre amp Empty sp 14 pre amp

Post by mike drinkwater Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:59 pm

I have spent the weekend listening to Roy's sp 14 that I recently had built. All I can say is it is an unbelievable improvement over my grounded grid pre . It is like having a whole new system. By far the best upgrade I have made so far. Biggest improvement is the presence of the instruments defined in space and the quality of voices is pretty incredible. Peaks are much smoother and transients much better defined. All in all fantastic piece of equipment. In spite of my praise I have to be honest and say the initial few hours were rough due to a intermittent glitch in the volume control. Roy was very helpful and responded to all my emails. It also did not sound great out of the box but has improved all weekend. I would imagine it will continue to improve over the next week. The last thing I will say is the sp 14 is very resolving. I had no idea listening to Oscar Peterson how much he was humming in the background as it was not being picked up by the old pre. I'm using the pre amp with a mcalister amp, mk 3 frugal horns and eastern electric plus dac. At this point I think I'm finally satisfied. Great jon Roy.
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

sp 14 pre amp Empty Re: sp 14 pre amp

Post by Tube Nube Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:46 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting this review. I was really excited to read it, as MY SP14 is sitting on Roy's bench at this very moment awaiting panels for the cabinet or some such finishing touches!

I'm particularly interested in your set up, as we have similar tastes. I was using a TS grounded grid before upgrading to Roy's SP 8. The difference was big and very worthwhile, but not as much as what you appear to be describing with the GG to SP-14 jump.

I'm also using full-ranger horns (Saburos), but the FH Mk 3 was planned as my next build. One pair of these speakers will go to my son, with the decision to be partly determined by what sounds better, partly by preference of SWMBO.

How do you like the Mk 3's?
    ruffian

Post by ruffian Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:45 pm

Hey Mike.

Is your sp14 stock or did you make any customizations? What coupling caps did you go with? I'm seriously considering one myself right now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 am