The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Too much gain......??

BillyB

Too much gain......?? Empty Too much gain......??

Post by BillyB Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:37 pm

Hey....I am new to tubes so bear with me.

I am running an SS pre into one of Bob's ST-70's with EL-34's. My speakers are JBL 4311's which are pretty agressive.

Although I like what I am hearing.....The music sounds very alive but at times the sound sounds harsh and over driven. I am wondering if I have to much gain between my pre and the dynaco.

My pre puts out 50 db from the phonostage for MM than I have a step up for MC which bumps it up another 23 db for MC.

I also have the high gain board. Now the last thing I want to point out is that the pre does have an attenuated output for driving more effecient amplifiers.....which I am using so maybe its not a gain issue?????

When I get a tube pre from Roy I am going to have the low gain board installed....

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Too much gain......?? Empty Re: Too much gain......??

Post by Bob Latino Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:46 pm

Those JBL's are 91 dB efficient which is fairly average efficiency. Your combination of 50 dB on the phono stage and then 23 MC step up is too much gain into the amp. Why don't you try eliminating the MC step up and see how it sounds. Unless you have a real low output MC cartridge, it may work OK without the MC step up. I use right now a higher gain MC cartridge into a MM phono input and the gain at least for my combo seems fine ..

Bob
    BillyB

Post by BillyB Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:55 pm

Bob Latino wrote:Those JBL's are 91 dB efficient which is fairly average efficiency. Your combination of 50 dB on the phono stage and then 23 MC step up is too much gain into the amp. Why don't you try eliminating the MC step up and see how it sounds. Unless you have a real low output MC cartridge, it may work OK without the MC step up. I use right now a higher gain MC cartridge into a MM phono input and the gain at least for my combo seems fine ..

Bob

Ok...Thanks Bob....I will try that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:32 am