The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products


    Cabinets for projects (enclosures)

    Share
    avatar
    plexus

    Posts : 94
    Join date : 2012-02-18
    Location : Toronto, Canada

    Cabinets for projects (enclosures)

    Post by plexus on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:47 pm

    Does anyone have a recommendation for a place that will make and sell custom cabinets for tube projects? i want a couple cases with wood sides like the hammond cases but have some customizations and punch-outs. i can't find anything googling. i did find one place but the quote was $300 a case. i would like to keep it under $100 a case if possible.
    avatar
    WntrMute2

    Posts : 101
    Join date : 2010-11-21

    Re: Cabinets for projects (enclosures)

    Post by WntrMute2 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:11 am

    The real question is what kind of wood are you going to use? Something like ebony for that warm dark sound or birdseye maple for a lighter more interesting note? Stay away from balsa to insure a weighty presentation to the music.


    Last edited by WntrMute2 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Posting too early)
    avatar
    plexus

    Posts : 94
    Join date : 2012-02-18
    Location : Toronto, Canada

    Re: Cabinets for projects (enclosures)

    Post by plexus on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:08 pm

    WntrMute2 wrote:The real question is what kind of wood are you going to use? Something like ebony for that warm dark sound or birdseye maple for a lighter more interesting note? Stay away from balsa to insure a weighty presentation to the music.

    I thought balsa was the preferred wood as it sounds light and airy.

    Of course you know your hifi system sounds best when you aren't in the room.
    avatar
    Tube Nube

    Posts : 660
    Join date : 2008-12-06
    Age : 53
    Location : Calgary, AB

    Re: Cabinets for projects (enclosures)

    Post by Tube Nube on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:40 pm

    Though light and airy, it tends also to have a certain fragility.
    avatar
    Tube Nube

    Posts : 660
    Join date : 2008-12-06
    Age : 53
    Location : Calgary, AB

    Re: Cabinets for projects (enclosures)

    Post by Tube Nube on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:44 pm

    Not sure where you want your wood, but I once thought about taking the case of my pre amp, removing the 1 piece part that covers the top and sides, then fashioning a replacement out of a nice wood on my table saw.

    Then I started to worry that the metal top might provide some shielding from rf, and other sources of electrical noise. Then I thought maybe wire bug screen, if still available, could be used to line the insides of the wooden part.

    Then I thought to heck with it all.
    avatar
    plexus

    Posts : 94
    Join date : 2012-02-18
    Location : Toronto, Canada

    Re: Cabinets for projects (enclosures)

    Post by plexus on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:52 pm

    Tube Nube wrote:Not sure where you want your wood, but I once thought about taking the case of my pre amp, removing the 1 piece part that covers the top and sides, then fashioning a replacement out of a nice wood on my table saw.

    Then I started to worry that the metal top might provide some shielding from rf, and other sources of electrical noise. Then I thought maybe wire bug screen, if still available, could be used to line the insides of the wooden part.

    Then I thought to heck with it all.

    You want an all metal enclosure especially for a phono stage or preamp but even a power amp. its best I think to fix the wood to the side of the all metal case. the bug screen idea would work as a marginal Faraday cage but its best that it be sold metal.
    avatar
    WntrMute2

    Posts : 101
    Join date : 2010-11-21

    Re: Cabinets for projects (enclosures)

    Post by WntrMute2 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:20 pm

    Tube Nube wrote:Though light and airy, it tends also to have a certain fragility.

    One word- TERMITES
    avatar
    tubes4hifi
    Admin

    Posts : 1315
    Join date : 2008-11-30

    Re: Cabinets for projects (enclosures)

    Post by tubes4hifi on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:59 pm

    plexus,
    check out the two photos on the bottom of my page here,
    PH15 custom "woody"
    I have a guy in Oregon that does these for me,
    when I return from vacaton I'll be selling a new SP10 preamp with Zebrawood sides, this photo is Rosewood.
    avatar
    plexus

    Posts : 94
    Join date : 2012-02-18
    Location : Toronto, Canada

    Re: Cabinets for projects (enclosures)

    Post by plexus on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:52 pm

    I think I found your guy. on ebay. i emailed him a couple weeks ago about needed some chassis'. After getting the PH15 together I just emailed him last night with dimension but have heard nothing back yet. hope he is still around because so far he is the only person I can find that makes wood sided chassis for a decent price

    Sponsored content

    Re: Cabinets for projects (enclosures)

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:00 pm