The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

hi everyone

bigsmall

hi everyone Empty hi everyone

Post by bigsmall Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:24 pm

is there anyone using st70 to drive 3/5a here.
    and what you feel about that?
    plexus
    plexus

hi everyone Empty Re: hi everyone

Post by plexus Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:56 pm

wow. that would be an awesome set up. i am well acquainted with ls5's and i own ls6's which as you know re a budget line rogers came out with in the 80s. i almost bought 3/5a's a couple times but the price scared me away. i think an st70 paired with 3/5a's would be so elegant and really nice to listen too. how well does the st70 handle the 3/5's? is it a vta st70 or vintage?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:25 pm

Hi,

The LS3/5a is a great little speaker - especially in the vocal range. I heard one years ago. The only issue is that it is very low in sensitivity (82 - 83 dB) and needs a lot of power to get the volume up. Whether a stock ST-70 (35 WPC claimed but more like 25 WPC) or a VTA ST-70 (45 WPC measured) would have enough power to drive that speaker to levels loud enough to satisfy you is a question I can't answer. Maybe you should do some online research and see what LS3/5a owners use to drive this speaker and/or how much power they think is needed to drive the speaker.

Bob
    plexus
    plexus

Post by plexus Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:38 pm

I am driving Martin Logan SL3's with vintage dynaco MK3's with VTA octal drivers. In ultralinear it will play loud but its not hard to strain the amps with the Logans.

I am reminded recently that the SL3's are 4 ohm speakers and sometime can dip to 1 ohm. I think my MK3's are wired on the 8 ohm speaker tap. I guess I should switch that to the 4 ohm tap?
    bigsmall

Post by bigsmall Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:12 pm

thank you all guy!
    I have a stock st70, i see a lots of form about what amp they use for this speaker,most vintage
    amps like marantz and Mcintosh,but they all too much for me ,so i like to know is there many dynaco user used for this speaker.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:42 am