The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

PAS 2 and ST-35 on Dynaco/Scandyna A30X?

gatchaman

PAS 2 and ST-35 on Dynaco/Scandyna A30X? Empty PAS 2 and ST-35 on Dynaco/Scandyna A30X?

Post by gatchaman Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:43 am

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I registrated because I am expecting a PAS 2 and ST-35 in a few months. I have been looking for matching speakers for this combo already, and my eyes are on a pair of Dynaco/Scandyna A30X's. Not much info on the net about these, but they seem to be the bigger brother of the A25, as I have read somewhere. My question is the following ; since these speakers are 4 ohm, would that be a problem for my PAS 2 / ST-35? I have read a lot of good stuff about the A25's partnered with an ST-35, but these are 8 ohm.
    Like I said, I am new to Dynaco gear, so I hope you guys forgive me if this is a simple question, LOL!

Thanx in advance.

PAS 2 and ST-35 on Dynaco/Scandyna A30X? Empty Re: PAS 2 and ST-35 on Dynaco/Scandyna A30X?

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:55 am

Original ST-35s had 8 and 16 ohm taps which may not be ideal for the 4 ohm speaker. The newer versions from Dynakit, Triode, etc. have 4 and 8 ohm taps on their output transformers. This is probably what you want.
    1973shovel

PAS 2 and ST-35 on Dynaco/Scandyna A30X? Empty Re: PAS 2 and ST-35 on Dynaco/Scandyna A30X?

Post by 1973shovel Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:38 pm

Hello Gatchaman, and welcome.

I couldn't tell from your post if you have your heart set on the Scan-dyna A30X speakers, or are just considering them. If your ST-35 has he eight and sixteen ohm tapped transformers, and you do get the four ohm speakers, just run them off the eight ohm tap. You won't hurt anything. You could invest in new output transformers, as Captain Coconut suggested. But the differences I've heard between using the eight and sixteen ohm taps with my eight ohm speakers just wouldn't be worth the price and work involved in swapping output transformers.

If you haven't decided on speakers yet, may I suggest you consider The Horn from The Horn Shoppe. It's a single driver (no crossover) speaker, an easy eight ohm load, 94 or 95 dB efficient. If, like I did, you think a 4" driver can't do rock music justice, I understand. That was until I heard them, I mean. They cost $850 per pair, delivered to your door, and you have thirty days to see if you like them.

There's plenty of reviews on them in Stereophile, Six Moons, TNT, Positive Feedback, etc. if that means anything to you.

Horn Shoppe reviews

I have no affiliation with the Horn Shoppe other than being a satisfied customer and music lover.

Good luck with your Dynaco equipment and whatever speaker you end up using, please consider the $10 EFB bias mod for your ST-35. It will allow the amp to provide more power for the speakers, it will make your output tubes last longer, and it will sound better!

gatchaman

Post by gatchaman Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:44 pm

Thanx guys, for all the help sofar. I have received the speakers today, and I am very happy with them. Since they are rated at 4 ohm, I decided to hook them up on my Audio Analogue Puccini Remote. This amp seems to have no problems driving the Scandyna's. To my ears the Puccini has a very "tubey" sound, so I can get through the coming months before I'll have my Dynaco combo. Man, I just can't wait. It is like being a little kid again, counting the days until your birthday, LOL!
    By the way I am glad to know the 4 ohm load can't hurt the ST-35 when hooked up on the 8 ohm connectors.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:44 am