The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Cartridge for my turntable

Luddite
    Luddite

Cartridge for my turntable Empty Cartridge for my turntable

Post by Luddite Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:40 pm

I have a Pioneer PL-530 direct drive turntable with tubular "S" shaped arm. I am currently using a Stanton 681EEE MKIII cartridge with .3 x .7 mil elliptical stylus which gives me a pleasing playback response. I also have a NOS Pickering TL-3S cartridge with a "stereohedron" stylus ("P" mount, but has an adaptor) and a used Shure V15 Type I (original version) which needs a new stylus (.3 x .7 mil elliptical replacement available from Ed Saunders). Just wondering if anyone had any comments or suggestions as to which of these might give the best performance in my turntable?

Best Regards,
    Charlie
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Cartridge for my turntable Empty Re: Cartridge for my turntable

Post by Roy Mottram Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:21 pm

both the Stanton and Shure were extremely popular cartridges back in the late 70s. The Shure was probably the higher-fi of the two,
    the Stanton was also very good and very popular with DJs, maybe it was considered more rugged. Either should be very good.
    Not familiar with the Pickering. Neither the Shure nor Pickering original type stylus seem to be available anymore.
    For about the price of a replacement stylus, you might check into getting an all new cartridge, just a thought,
    here's one for $50 that seems to be well liked . . . http://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Technica-95E-Cartridge?sc=2&category=402
    also the Shure MX97 for around $90, also check out some comments here . . . . http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=404000
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:21 pm

Thanks Roy, I will investigate that further (some interesting comments on the AK forum). I'm currently using the Stanton and have no complaints. I may get another headshell and tryout the Pickering TL-3S as I already have it and it is unused. I'll probably forego trying out the Shure V15, though.

Best Regards,
    Charlie
    turbotoy

Post by turbotoy Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:17 pm

The Denon DL-103 or 103R cartridges are a relative bargain due to their production durations being so long. If the effective mass of your Pioneer tonearm is on the heavy side and you can deal with low output I highly recommend one. I'm using a 103R on a similar vintage direct drive Sony PS-X70 after performing much research and am very satisfied.
    GP49

Post by GP49 Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:41 pm

Skip the Shure V-15 ("Type I" though at the time it was made there was no "Type" number). The Pickering and Stanton surpass it. Shure themselves discontinued it relatively quickly and replaced it with the V-15 Type II which had markedly superior tracking and HF response.

If your Stanton 681 is already mounted, you could try to put the Pickering TL-3S stylus into it. The TL-3S is a P-mount version of the Pickering XV-15 series, which was identical to the Stanton 680/681, other than body color. The Stereohedron tip on the identical body may be just what you need.
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:21 pm

GP49 wrote:Skip the Shure V-15 ("Type I" though at the time it was made there was no "Type" number). The Pickering and Stanton surpass it. Shure themselves discontinued it relatively quickly and replaced it with the V-15 Type II which had markedly superior tracking and HF response.

If your Stanton 681 is already mounted, you could try to put the Pickering TL-3S stylus into it. The TL-3S is a P-mount version of the Pickering XV-15 series, which was identical to the Stanton 680/681, other than body color. The Stereohedron tip on the identical body may be just what you need.

Thanks GP49, that is an intriguing idea! One question please. Since the TL-3S is a "P mount" design, there is no brush attached. However, I noticed that the stylus body has the dimples for mounting a brush. I have a Pickering D3000 replacement stylus from which I could borrow the brush. Should I use the brush?

Best Regards,
    Charlie
    GP49

Post by GP49 Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:53 pm

If it has a Pickering-shaped stylus assembly with the dimples for the brush, I don't think it is the original stylus for the TL-3S. The original one looks like a shorter version of a Stanton stylus:

Cartridge for my turntable Tl-3

...but of course there could have been variations during production.

If it's a Pickering-shaped stylus, it is probably an XV-15 stylus, which is totally interchangeable with the 680/681 body and the TL-3S. Does it have the stylized "PCin a circle" moulded on the front? If it does, it is a genuine Pickering stylus, and there should be lettering on the plastic grip that identifies it. If it lacks the "PC in a circle" it is an aftermarket stylus, which if unlabeled could be anything.

NOTE: While the Pickering XV-15 and Stanton 680/681 are identical, the Pickering XSV and Stanton 880/881/980/981 bodies, though they may look the same physically, operate on an entirely different principle (moving magnet; the XV-15 and Stanton 680/681 are moving IRON). Styli do NOT interchange between the moving magnet series and the moving iron series; they fit but don't work properly.
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:21 pm

GP49 wrote:If it has a Pickering-shaped stylus assembly with the dimples for the brush, I don't think it is the original stylus for the TL-3S.
    If it's a Pickering-shaped stylus, it is probably an XV-15 stylus, which is totally interchangeable with the 680/681 body and the TL-3S. Does it have the stylized "PCin a circle" moulded on the front? If it does, it is a genuine Pickering stylus, and there should be lettering on the plastic grip that identifies it. If it lacks the "PC in a circle" it is an aftermarket stylus, which if unlabeled could be anything.

NOTE: While the Pickering XV-15 and Stanton 680/681 are identical, the Pickering XSV and Stanton 880/881/980/981 bodies, though they may look the same physically, operate on an entirely different principle (moving magnet; the XV-15 and Stanton 680/681 are moving IRON). Styli do NOT interchange between the moving magnet series and the moving iron series; they fit but don't work properly.

Greetings GP49,

My cartridge (NOS) actually has an authentic Pickering DTL-3S (stereohedron) stylus with the embossed "PC" logo. The stylus body is the same as the D3000. I believe the one in your picture is probably the DTL-3 (elliptical) stylus. Also, I was already aware that the D3000 stylus was incompatible with the 681 series. Thanks and

Best Regards,
    Charlie
    GP49

Post by GP49 Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:53 pm

In that case it should sound splendid in your Stanton 681 body.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:02 am