The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Fast on-off-cycling of Dynaco VTA amps

deepee99

Fast on-off-cycling of Dynaco VTA amps

Post by deepee99 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:30 am

Any casual reader of this board has been warned against quick power cycling of Dynaco-type tube amps. I can keep my hands off the switches OK, but have no control over our local power utility. We get 2-second power blips quite often during the winters, when snow trips breakers at the substations, or some honyak hits a power pole, and also in the summer during electrical storms. I'm told surge protectors aren't much help. Anybody got ideas to keep from frying the toobs during such events?
    Thanks!

hawaii.ken

Re: Fast on-off-cycling of Dynaco VTA amps

Post by hawaii.ken on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:46 am

Uninterruptible Power Supply - UPS? I like the ones made by APC.

mhardyman

Post by mhardyman on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:10 am

Am a particular fan of the APC S-15 line. Huge battery and it generates a true sine wave instead of a stepped wave. Wicked fast. Also keeps it set to 117VAC. If it's over, it cuts the AC back, if it's under the battery helps out.

WntrMute2

Post by WntrMute2 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:53 am

You have a couple of other options. One is the relay kit sold by Tubes4HiFi. I built and installed this. Second is an outdoor GFCI such as http://www.amazon.com/TRC-90265-6-012-Shockshield-Portable-Protection/dp/B000XU5MEG/ref=pd_sbs_indust_4 This will trip when power cuts off and won't reset on its own. You have to reset it once power is restored. It is designed to protect workers from power tool starting up when power is restored. I use this too to protect everything stereo wise. Works a charm and is cheap. You often can find similar products at Home Depot.

SpotcheckBilly

Post by SpotcheckBilly on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:28 pm

I use an APC G5 Power Filter. It features user adjustable power sequence outlets. You can set it to power up your tube amp using a delayed turn-on/turn-off. When you get one of those rapid cycling power incidents from your power company where the power wants to rapidly cycle on and off the G5 will not allow that to happen. If, for example, you've set the delay for your power amp outlet to sixty seconds, when the power cycles off the G5 will not allow the power to that outlet to come back on until that preset delay time is up. It will control up to five components in that manner, and in whatever sequence you desire. The similar APC G50 is even more versatile and network capable, but it costs a lot more money.

deepee99

Thank-you, all

Post by deepee99 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:54 pm

Think, for now, I'll go for Spotcheck Billy's advice (hello Little Feat, gonna have to pull out Waiting for Columbus) and go with the APC G5. (Always wanted to tell the ladies I had a G5.) I'd love to have the budget for one of their battery-sine-wave appliances but it looks like the G5 will do the trick for now. Thank-you, WinterMute, for the very low-budget solution. Problem is, the rack covers over the outlet and I'd need a fork-lift to get to it to re-set. I may take your advice for the simple shut-off for the computers, however, 'cuz they're on a strip I can reach.
    I had a blu-ray player that wouldn't work, early Sanyo, I think, just flat crapped all the time. Turns out it was very sensitive to line voltage fluctuations. Gave it to a friend (an $800 burn), he hauled it off to Calgary and it's been working perfectly ever since.
    We are on the long-end of the world's first-ever long-distance power transmission line, something like 120 miles, strung in 1910 or something from a new dam in Post Falls, Idaho, all the way up to the silver mines here in Wallace, Idaho, to power their hoists and mills. Nobody was sure it would work. They sunk power-poles into the bottom of Coeur d'Alene Lake to string the sucker. Well, it did, and now they run a line from a dam in Noxon, Montana, to keep the voltage juiced. It's murder on light bulbs. I can here Edison saying, "I told ya so about that Westinghouse guy." Smile

Again, thank-you for your advice. This is just plain fun.

Cheerio,
    David

SpotcheckBilly

Post by SpotcheckBilly on Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:03 am

Good choice, David. The G5 will do the trick.

A Feat fan? Allright!!!! Waiting for Columbus (IMHO) is probably the best live rock album ever recorded. I often play the CD copy on my 9.2 channel home theater setup (I save the vinyl version for my 2-channel tube system), Audyssey DSX does one heck of a job bringing out the hall ambience and the sound of the crowd ......."Gimme an F!!!!!".

Cheers,
    SB

deepee99

Feats

Post by deepee99 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:45 pm

I'm just a fat man in a bathtub, with a soldering iron and two M-125s in build stage. But oh, Atlanta.
    Just read on a blog on Amazon that Mobile Fidelity is coming up with a re-release on vinyl of the original two-disc Waiting for Columbus. I wore mine nearly white back in the aulden days. Can't wait
    Meantime, weed, whites and wine . . .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:01 am

Current date/time is Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:01 am