The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Dynakitparts/VTA Mark III Integrated Amp Build

KenN

Dynakitparts/VTA Mark III Integrated Amp Build Empty Dynakitparts/VTA Mark III Integrated Amp Build

Post by KenN Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:32 pm

As I stated in my one and only other post, my next project was to build an integrated stereo amplifier with phono stage included. I have modeled the project, snapshots shown below, aquired all hardware, except toroids, and have started machining the chassis. I won't spend much time describing the chassis build since it may be too far off base from the intended purpose of this forum. Questions (read as requests for advice) as well as more details to follow.

Goals: Less than 65 lbs., less than 19 inches wide. So far, have met the two physical goals. (See, not 4 feet wide, Roy!)

Regards,
    Ken

Dynakitparts/VTA Mark III Integrated Amp Build MarkIIIintegratedampconcept2
    View from the bottom without bottom panel in place.
    Dynakitparts/VTA Mark III Integrated Amp Build MarkIIIintegratedampconcept1
    Top view with only the KT-88s and rectifier tubes modeled. 19 tubes total.
    baddog1946
    baddog1946

Dynakitparts/VTA Mark III Integrated Amp Build Empty Re: Dynakitparts/VTA Mark III Integrated Amp Build

Post by baddog1946 Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:42 am

Nice looking project. Is this variant kind of 2 MK-III's on a single chassis? I have also been working on a retro Dynaco amp. with 4 KY-120 output tubes, 2 chokes, 2 rectifiers, a custom made 800VDC toroid power transformer and 2 Edcor output transformers and it looks like about 160 watts output. All boards connect without terminal strips. Nice to see some new stuff showing up on the forum.
    baddog

Dynakitparts/VTA Mark III Integrated Amp Build WOODSIDESAMPdigital
    Dynakitparts/VTA Mark III Integrated Amp Build ToroidTransformer-1
    Dynakitparts/VTA Mark III Integrated Amp Build 800V500MatoroidforKT12001
    KenN

Dynakitparts/VTA Mark III Integrated Amp Build Empty Re: Dynakitparts/VTA Mark III Integrated Amp Build

Post by KenN Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:22 pm

Yes, baddog, the power section is two sets of Mk III components from dynakitparts. I'm actually still not sure if it is 50 or 60 watts output per channel; I have seen both figures. That's a slick looking amp you are working on.

Regards,
    Ken

Last edited by KenN on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Answer to question found at dynakitparts.com)
    KenN

Dynakitparts/VTA Mark III Integrated Amp Build Empty Question about transformer orientation

Post by KenN Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:08 pm

As currently modeled, I have the IE transformers symentrically placed on the chassis; the output transformers are at 90 degrees to their respective power transformer. However, this has the two power transformers, at the center, parallel to one another. Is this ok or should I have all transformers at 90 degrees to adjacent transformers? The setup would not be symetrical (visually) in that case. It would look somewhat like harpy's two Mark III's pushed together as shown in his photos on page 3 of his post "Mark III Rebuild"
    Looking for examples, I have not be able to find something similar since most amps just have one channel (two transformers at 90 degrees) or, if stereo, have three, which have the two OPT at 90 degrees to the power transformer located in the center. Originally I assumed that it was only criticl for positioning the OPT 90 degrees to the PT.

Thanks in advance,
    Ken

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:29 am