The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

Dynaco Quadaptor

Luddite
    Luddite

Dynaco Quadaptor Empty Dynaco Quadaptor

Post by Luddite Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:48 pm

I just received a NOS Dynaco 3-section, 25ohm, wire-wound potentiometer which I will be using to construct a Quadaptor clone. Yeah, I know it would probably be cheaper to purchase a used one on Ebay, etc. but I preferred to build it myself. My question is: Since it is probably 40+ years old, should I clean and/or lubricate it? If so, how do I access the bottom two sections (there is an opening in the top section)? Would Radio Shack tuner cleaner/lubricant be okay to use? Thanks and

Best Regards,
    Charlie
    Luddite
    Luddite

Dynaco Quadaptor Empty Re: Dynaco Quadaptor

Post by Luddite Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:45 pm

I just completed building and installing my Quadaptor clone. I am using it with a (front) pair of A-25 clones I built about a year ago and a (rear) pair of Dynaco A-10's I recently acquired and refurbished. These are all being driven by a Dynakit Parts ST-35 amplifier I built about three years ago. So far I've only had about three hours to listen, but my initial impression was good. While not at all like a typical Dolby surround system (no rear directionality), there is a distinct sense of additional ambience, depending on the source material. As has been previously discussed, live recordings tend to have more, especially if they were minimally miked. However, the unexpected benefit of this set-up is an apparent increase in the perceived depth of the soundstage! I'm looking forward to spending some time this weekend listening and tweaking (I think the rear level needs to be trimmed slightly more). Any suggestions or hints from anyone familiar with the Quadaptor set-up would be welcome and appreciated. Thanks and

Best Regards,
    Charlie

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:56 am