The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+5
SpotcheckBilly
Luddite
ixe13
Bob Latino
Steven0356
9 posters

speakers and MK III

Steven0356

speakers and  MK III Empty speakers and MK III

Post by Steven0356 Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:20 am

Any suggestions on speakers that would match up well with the Dynaco MK IIIs?

I listen to jazz and blues mostly

Thanks
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

speakers and  MK III Empty Re: speakers and MK III

Post by Bob Latino Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:59 am

Hi Steven,

I have used speakers from the two places listed below .. Both places sell directly to the consumer via the internet. Both of them have pricing that are what I would consider good value for the price.

1. Axiom speakers out of Canada > Axiom Audio Very reasonably priced ... Good sound.

2. Tyler Acoustics in Kentucky > Tyler Acoustics These are really "high end" speakers (and higher priced) using the same Seas and Scanspeak drivers used in many high end speakers. I have two sets of these - One in my workshop and one in my living room. The one in my living room I use to demonstrate the VTA amps for local customers.

Bob
    Steven0356

Post by Steven0356 Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:30 pm

Thanks Bob
    ixe13

Post by ixe13 Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:55 pm

Hi Steven,

Also, you can have a look here:

http://www.tektondesign.com/products.html

I dont own a pair, so I can't comment on the sound, but they look quite interesting, plus the guy give a 30 days trial. You dont like them send them back...

I've been drooling all over my monitor for a while now, looking at their model Lore.

Anyway, interesting...

Yves
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:21 pm

Here's a modern "retake" on the classic Dynaco A-25. Very meticulous construction using the contemporary versions of the original SEAS drivers. Worth a look and besides, Gary is a really nice guy! http://annandaleacoustics.com/

Best Regards,
    Charlie
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:58 am

If you are handy there are also a number of places online that sell speakers in KIT form. The three places that I am familiar with are listed below.

Zalytron

Madisound

Parts Express Speaker kits

Bob
    SpotcheckBilly

Post by SpotcheckBilly Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:12 am

ixe13 wrote:Hi Steven,

Also, you can have a look here:

http://www.tektondesign.com/products.html

I dont own a pair, so I can't comment on the sound, but they look quite interesting, plus the guy give a 30 days trial. You dont like them send them back...

I've been drooling all over my monitor for a while now, looking at their model Lore.

Anyway, interesting...

Yves

I strongly suggest that you check out Tekton. First read the reviews that you can find on the web, then go to their 'site and have a look at the whole line. There's pretty much something for everybody in all price ranges. If you have any questions give Eric Alexander (Tekton owner/designer) a call. He's a real straight shooter and won't steer you wrong.

I'm not basing my recommendation on hearsay - I've owned a pair of the M Lores for several months and consider them the best bang for the buck speaker in existence. Tekton also builds their version of a modernized Dynaco speaker (I believe its an A25) if that's your bag.

Cheers,
    SB

Post by Guest Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:01 am

Klipsch baby - some big old cornwalls will sound magical.
    Mike G.
    Mike G.

Post by Mike G. Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:46 pm

Hi Bob...I've heard the speakers in your living room. I thought they were very good. Which model of Tyler Acoustics do you have? I have ProAc Response 2's and a pair of Spendor 3-way model 1/2E's.
    Also, a pair of ProAc Mini Monitors which I plan to sell sometime soon.
    Keep the good sound coming, Bob!
    Mike G.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:26 pm

Hi Mike,

Nice to hear from you ...

Those speakers you heard were Tyler Acoustics Linbrook II's. Tyler doesn't make that speaker anymore. They now make a "Decade" line of speakers in its place. The older Tyler Linbrook II was a 3 way speaker with all Seas drivers.

Bob
    quad44

Post by quad44 Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:27 pm

If you are into vintage speakers you might want to have a look at the Acoustic Research AR3a's.
    I am using a pair of circa 1973 AR3a's with Dynakitparts MKIIIs and the Tubes4hifi VTA boards.
    I like my music loud enough to feel it and I do listen to a lot of jazz instrumental and vocal.
    I have tried various other speakers like the Tannoys Mercury M5, the Polk LSi9s and the AR11's which I have on my other systems but the AR3a's are the ones I keep coming back to.
    I am passing on a link to some background information on the original Dynaco MKIIIs and their relationship to the AR3a's kindly provided by Kevin from Dynakitparts when I was upgrading from an ST70 to the MKIIIs.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=653

Hope this helps.
    stewdan

Post by stewdan Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:28 pm

OK -- Mark III's with Low Gain VTA boards (also with VTA Octal boards) and Vintage Speakers that sound very good (to me)!!

Vandersteen 2CI's
    Vintage Advents -- Original (Masonite Rings on Woofer), A2's, A3's and A4's.
    JBL L36's
    Dynaco A25's
    Acoustic Reaserch AR2's and AR2a's

Yes, I have them all! (for some reason, I never part with my speakers)
    I listen to Classical and Jazz and some English Rock from the 70's and 80's
    mark four
    mark four

Post by mark four Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:57 pm

i was using a pair of spendor SP-2 speakers . they hav a rich tone and sounded really nice with my modified mark 3 amps . until i found a pair of vintage spendor SA-2 speakers on e bay . they are truly natural sounding speakers the add no color to the music at all . jazz and acoustic music was made for these babies . not the new version of SA-2 's that the make now . they are from the late 80's . happy listening !!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:59 am