The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Solid state amps

Eric345

Solid state amps Empty Solid state amps

Post by Eric345 Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:42 am

Has anyone used a sp 9 coupled with a solid state power amp. and what were the results. Question
    Tom

Solid state amps Empty Re: Solid state amps

Post by Tom Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:20 am

Yep.

SP-8, not 9 sorry, originally running thru a Harman Kardon 3480. The HK has a pre out / main in on the back so you can use an external preamp. Sounded great! Much better on the CD thru the linestage. MUCH MUCH better on the phono stage.

Now the HK has been replace with a chipamp built on the LM3875. http://www.audiosector.com/ Ridiculously cheap and easy compared to the preamp. Less power than the HK but still plenty and again, better sound. Smile

Saving my pennies for ST-120.

Was it a Nike commercial, "Just Do It!"

Tom
    Eric345

Post by Eric345 Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:17 pm

Thank you, I was a little worried. I plan on running an Adcom gfa 555 with it should be good.
    Tom

Post by Tom Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:53 am

If I remember right, those Adcoms were pretty good amps so yes, you should hear the difference, of course providing your speakers are up to the task.

When I built the SP-8, I was hopeful but figured if there really wasn't much difference I wouldn't be disappointed. Still a fun project right? Well, I wasn't disappointed. Could even hear the differnce between the cheap chinese tubes I started with and the NOS replacements. It's fun.

Post back when you're up and running and let us know how it turns out.
    sailor

Post by sailor Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:50 pm

I have a lot of amps. The one I have had the longest is my 23 year old Adcom GFA555. Yes you will hear a difference. Building the tube preamp is a great first step, but be warned tubes and kit building is addictive.
    Eric345

Post by Eric345 Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:03 pm

the amp is bassy and the high are out standing but the mid range is suffering. I was wondering if some one could reccomend alternate tubes that would even it out The unit is a sp9 and came with JJ ecc83 s.
    Eric345

Post by Eric345 Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:37 pm

Today I shut off the sp9 before shutting off the Adcom 555 ii there were four loud pops then nothing I check all the fuses the 5 amp fuses on my vega ve12s were fried I replaced them but stil nothing. has anyone have a solution. the sp9 was factory wired.
    Eric345

Post by Eric345 Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:55 pm

All fixed, bad fuse in the amp. Lesson learned, pre amp on first and off last. A whole lotta sweating going on. An old dog can learn new tricks. The Sp9 just sounds better and better.
    Tom

Post by Tom Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:27 am

Wow that's crazy! Glad it came out right in the end.
    I have a family member who can't remember the on off sequence.
    I may buy one of the timer boards sold on here for that reason. Razz
    Next upgrade. Wink

Also, I got a noticable improvement when I switched the cheap chinese tubes I started with for NOS RCA cleartops. I think my originals were <$10 each at my local electronics shop and the RCAs were around $30 each from Brent Jesse online. Worth the $ imho.

Smile
    Tom

Post by Tom Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:34 am

OOPs. Just realized you were asking about ECC83s/12AX7s; those were more expensive than the ECC82/12AU7 I was talking about.

Sorry! Rolling Eyes

Eric345

Post by Eric345 Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:18 am

When I thought I'd fried the tubes I went ahead and bought some EH 12x7s at $15.00 a pop oops wrong word I mean each.I'll try them out they may bring out the mid range better. I'll post when I find out the result
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:37 pm

yes, always turn off the amp first, then the preamp last. Start up in reverse order, preamp on first, amp on last.
    The EH tubes should sound better than the JJs or chinese tubes.
    Eric345

Post by Eric345 Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:22 pm

Far better sound from the EH tubes across the frequency spectrum .The tone is nostalgic to me, Back when most equipment were tubes and SS just starting to make inroads.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:49 am