The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Very good and relatively inexpensive speaker cables - photo

Bob Latino
    Admin

Very good and relatively inexpensive speaker cables - photo

Post by Bob Latino on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:01 pm

There is a guy on Ebay, "Cablebuyer", that I found out was selling speaker cables made with the Canare 4S11 "star quad" wire at a very good price. In the past I bought some of the Canare 4S11 by the foot and used my own connectors to make up some speaker cables for one of the systems that I have here. Canare 4S11 has 4 separate 14 gauge wires inside and is great for biwiring or biamping. The wire itself is about $1.35 a foot and the Nakamichi banana connectors that the fellow uses are about $1.00 each. I bought two 8 foot bi-wire cables from him for $60 SHIPPED. (photo above) He wanted $65.95 shipped, but he had a "Best Offer" so I offered him $60 shipped which he accepted.

If you wanted to make these up yourself then > For two 8 foot bi-wire speaker cables that is $21.60 for the wire (16 feet of wire) and $12 for the connectors or $33.60. Add in some shrink tubing and shipping for the cable and 12 Nakamichi banana connectors and you are up to at least $40. Now do I want to cut and strip the wire, solder on the connectors and shrink the tubing on 12 connectors for $20 - NO - I'll let him do it for the $20 and I'll pop a cold one and listen to music.

I had him put on banana connectors because I am forever moving speakers, amps, preamps about the house here. He will also put on spade lugs if you want for the same price. Below is a link to his list of Canare 4S11 speaker cables on his Ebay store.

In comparison > Blue Jeans Cables online will also do the same job for two 8 foot bi-wire Canare 4S11 speaker cables for $102.50 + shipping. Now it is possible that Blue Jeans cables uses slightly better banana connectors but the Nakamichi connectors the guy supplied appear to be of very good quality ...

Cablebuyer's Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Bob

Last edited by Bob Latino on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

WntrMute2

Re: Very good and relatively inexpensive speaker cables - photo

Post by WntrMute2 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:31 pm

Here is a similar set from RAM Electronics.
    http://www.ramelectronics.net/product.aspx?zpid=2067

Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:04 pm

Yes - BUT - RAM Electronics are at $50.88 for ONE set of 8 foot bi-wire cables. That would be $101.76 for the TWO cables that you would need for a stereo system. They don't mention anything about free shipping. The cables from "Cablebuyer" on Ebay are for TWO 8 foot bi-wire cables shipped for $60.

Bob

WntrMute2

Post by WntrMute2 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:10 pm

Well, don't the locking bananas make up for the difference in cost? Just kidding, you are right Bob, that is a much better deal. I just ran across the ad while looking for something and thought I'd add to the possibilities if someone is uncomfortable dealing with the Ebay crowd.

Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi,

You do have a point ... The locking bananas are nice and probably better than the standard Nakamichi bananas supplied with these cables. If you have to move the speakers around when they are plugged in, the locking bananas are probably a good idea. I have before muscled speakers around a few inches at a time looking for the best position and I have had a banana connector or two pop out on me a few times.

Bob

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:07 am

Bob Latino wrote:Hi,

You do have a point ... The locking bananas are nice and probably better than the standard Nakamichi bananas supplied with these cables. If you have to move the speakers around when they are plugged in, the locking bananas are probably a good idea. I have before muscled speakers around a few inches at a time looking for the best position and I have had a banana connector or two pop out on me a few times.

Bob

I have had the same problem with bananas, Bob. FWIW, Vandersteen recommends using spades on their speakers for a more secure connection. I prefer solid-silver spades to gold-plated ones. While unlike gold, silver does tarnish over time, tarnishing does not diminish its conductivity.

Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube on Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:22 pm

I've just put in a bunch of hours struggling with wire, connectors, solder, shrink tube etc to do 4 DIY interconnects to hook up my sub woofers.

I haven't tested them yet, to see if they even work, but one things for sure. I wasted about a day and a half chasing down supplies and fiddling. I don't think it was really worth it when the likes of these on-line options are so reasonable.

Thanks for bringing this option to our attention, Bob!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:54 am

Current date/time is Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:54 am