The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+30
Bob Latino
denny9167
corndog71
deluxmon
fxb1982
Pillo69
pmarcin
audiobill
mazeeff
polarflux
Tube Nube
kaner
sKiZo
Brap
Rich
baddog1946
Bigron865
peterh
quad
mantha3
hawaii.ken
charlief64
StevieRay
Zimmer64
pjp3
Tom
Sprags
Roy Mottram
mrconclusion
islanddave
34 posters

What speakers have you found work best with your VTA St-70

polarflux
    polarflux

What speakers have you found work best with your VTA St-70 - Page 2 Empty Re: What speakers have you found work best with your VTA St-70

Post by polarflux Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:54 am

I second the Fortes. Actually either the I or the II, since I have owned both. The stock versions need some love, though. My current pair have upgraded ti midranges and tweeters with kit built ALK Engineering Forte II crossovers. Very nice.
    mazeeff

What speakers have you found work best with your VTA St-70 - Page 2 Empty Re: What speakers have you found work best with your VTA St-70

Post by mazeeff Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:42 am

I'm going to second sKiZo's comment on efficiency (sensitivity). The Kilpsch Forte's are rated at 98dB @ 1w/1meter. These are very good numbers. I am looking at a set of these locally, and they sound fantastic on the ST-70. I was also able to drive them with a small 1962 RCA 8W amp.

Mike
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:47 am

Lots of high quality, nice kits at Madisound......
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:52 am

Thanks for all your comments. Finishing up the Madisounds this weekend and will give them a test drive prior to the rosewood finish I have decided upon. Also have a GLOW 1 amp (5 watt SE pentode) which I will experiment with on the Fostex SDFR's just for giggles.
    pmarcin
    pmarcin

Post by pmarcin Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:15 am

I agree on the Fortes. You can DIY on the xovers with Hovland caps and Goertz inductors and better electrolytics. Madisound: the Zaph SR-71 is popular. Bob recommends: More kits
    Pillo69
    Pillo69

Post by Pillo69 Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:32 am

I use a Pioneer HPM 700. They go very well, especially with jazz and classical music.
    fxb1982

What speakers have you found work best with your VTA St-70 - Page 2 Empty Pioneer

Post by fxb1982 Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:29 pm

A year or two ago or so I bought this trio.  These are in use at my cabin and I drive them with a JVC RX-8000V in a 2.1 setup.  I listened to them in a store and for the price ($300) it was hard to pass up especially since the cabin is small and these speakers have a small footprint.

Although LoFi, I have really been enjoying them.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SP-FS51-LR

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Subwoofers/SW-8

I wonder if anyone else has any experience with them and if so, what they think of them?

Good Day!

BJ
    deluxmon
    deluxmon

What speakers have you found work best with your VTA St-70 - Page 2 Empty What speakers go with a ST-70?

Post by deluxmon Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:06 pm

I have two Latino ST-70's and I run Zu Audio speakers with them.  One room has the Zu Soul MKII's (which I am going to be listing for sale in the next day or two due to an upgrade) and Zu Soul Superfly's in the man cave.....Zu speakers sound great with an upgraded ST-70.  Just my 2 cents.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:18 pm

Anything by GR Research or designed by Danny Richie. His designs are usually very tube friendly.
    pmarcin
    pmarcin

Post by pmarcin Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:17 pm

Corndog, we're on the same page again. After I sold the Fortes, I built GR Obm-6s. They're wonderful. The xovers are superlative.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:54 pm

pmarcin wrote:Corndog, we're on the same page again. After I sold the Fortes, I built GR Obm-6s. They're wonderful. The xovers are superlative.

Nice! I have his open baffle X-Statiks.

What speakers have you found work best with your VTA St-70 - Page 2 323ceae1
    pmarcin
    pmarcin

Post by pmarcin Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:59 pm

Gorgeous! Now if we could only get Shannon to upgrade the xover on his Choruses...

P.S.- My GRs are Baltic birch with Curly maple veneer.

Last edited by pmarcin on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
    denny9167
    denny9167

Post by denny9167 Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:00 pm

I've always been partial to planar, and ribbon speakers. I've run a pair of BG Corp RD-75's with Dynaco Mark IV's which are comparable to the ST-70. Just loved the sound from Classical to Alternative, did the job! My first exposure to tubes was Audio Research and Magnapans together, wonderful combination.
    denny9167
    denny9167

Post by denny9167 Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:01 pm

corndog71 wrote:
    pmarcin wrote:Corndog, we're on the same page again. After I sold the Fortes, I built GR Obm-6s. They're wonderful. The xovers are superlative.

Nice!  I have his open baffle X-Statiks.

What speakers have you found work best with your VTA St-70 - Page 2 323ceae1

Thumbs Up!!
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:51 pm

Well Bob hasn't yet weighed in so I think it deserves mention. He has often recommended Tyler Accoustic speakers. They market direct to the user, so thete is no dealer mark up. Their reviews are outstanding. Whats more, they often have used models on hand at substantial mark down. Bob uses their speakers himself to entertain prospective buyers who come by, and that says a lot. I'm often on their site pondering whether today is the day I pull the trigger.

Another great option on the DIY side is Troels Gravesen-- he has some very well reviewed designs that I hear are staggeringly good. One of our forum members built a pair and when played with his vta-120, his system held up in the estimation of friends, some of whom had invested $100k in their stereos. Alan, I think it's time for you to weigh in here, m8!

So make no mistake, the better you build or buy, the more you will get out of your gear. With a vta-70, you are already in the big leagues!
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:56 pm

Tube Nube wrote:Well Bob hasn't yet weighed in so I think it deserves mention. He has often recommended Tyler Accoustic speakers. They market direct to the user, so thete is no dealer mark up. Their reviews are outstanding. Whats more, they often have used models on hand at substantial mark down. Bob uses their speakers himself to entertain prospective buyers who come by, and that says a lot. I'm often on their site pondering whether today is the day I pull the trigger.

This post seems like deja vu. Danny Richie designed the crossovers for Tyler speakers.
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:16 pm

You know, this post seems like deja vu. . . .   Just messin' with your deja vu.

I didnt kmow that about the cross overs, but Im sure Bob willb be along shortly to tell us about some of his impressions. He hasn't steered any of us wrong yet!
    pmarcin
    pmarcin

Post by pmarcin Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:56 am

Talk about deja vu thrice revisited. Tyler appears to be mainly a cabinet maker. He has a relationship with Madisound; you can purchase the most elegant cabinets made by him from Madisound. I don't know it for a fact, but some of his older offerings looked like Madisounds repackaged into beautiful cabinets.

I recall that Danny redesigned a xover for an inexpensive, Ed Frias offering that was sold en masse. Danny is a xover expert and the Frias design wasn't flat enough for his tastes. I think it almost cost as much as the speaker itself.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:12 am

Tube Nube wrote:Well Bob hasn't yet weighed in so I think it deserves mention. He has often recommended Tyler Accoustic speakers. They market direct to the user, so thete is no dealer mark up. Their reviews are outstanding. Whats more, they often have used models on hand at substantial mark down. Bob uses their speakers himself to entertain prospective buyers who come by, and that says a lot. I'm often on their site pondering whether today is the day I pull the trigger.

Another great option on the DIY side is Troels Gravesen-- he has some very well reviewed designs that I hear are staggeringly good. One of our forum members built a pair and when played with his vta-120, his system held up in the estimation of friends, some of whom had invested $100k in their stereos. Alan, I think it's time for you to weigh in here, m8!

So make no mistake, the better you build or buy, the more you will get out of your gear. With a vta-70, you are already in the big leagues!

Yes - I have two pairs of Tyler Acoustics speakers here at my home on two of the three systems that I have set up .. One set is a pair of Tyler Acoustics Linbrook II's that is used to demonstrate the VTA amps to local New England customers. The other set are Taylo Reference Monitors .. The Taylo's are small bookshelf monitors. Note - Tyler does not make either of these models any more and now has a newer line of "Decade" speakers ..

All the Tyler Acoustics speakers are made in Kentucky and sold only through the internet. They all use high quality Seas or Scanspeak drivers and very good quality crossovers. The outer boxes are 1 inch thick and use a variety of high quality wood veneers on the outside. All six sides (including the back and the bottom) of these speakers are finished in the same wood veneer. The owner (Tyler Lashbrook) is very acessible by phone. You call there and Tyler will usually answer the phone. These high end speakers rival the sound quality of speakers which are two to three times their cost. They also have an outlet store with speakers that people have traded in for higher level models.

Bob
    maz
    maz

Post by maz Tue May 20, 2014 11:20 am

Heresy III's here and I'm in love with them.
    People say the Heresy's have no bass. Rolling Eyes 
    Teamed with the st-120 they have some of the tightest bass you can ask for.
    No flab, no boom, just tight and accurate.
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Tue May 20, 2014 11:26 am

Switch back and forth between Forte's but mainly run Paradigm Studio 10 V5's. Pretty decent for bookshelf. Saving my $$$ for some Zu Druids now.........
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Tue May 20, 2014 10:28 pm

@MAZ I agree I'm using re capped Heresy 1 with my VTA ST-120, KT-120s and 12BH7s all I can say is WOW!!!
    Thinking about building a set of Cornscalas

Last edited by Maintarget on Tue May 20, 2014 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed May 21, 2014 10:03 pm

Low budget: Dynaco A-25s.
    High-budget: Vandersteen 5ACs.
    In the middle I dunno. I only have two speeds.
    jdm
    jdm

Post by jdm Tue May 27, 2014 1:09 am

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/zaph%7Caudio-zrt-2-way-revelator-tower-parts-only-pair/

I built these Zaph ZRT is an extremely versatile premium speaker kit utilizing Scan-Speak Revelator drivers. The 2-Way configuration is designed for ported use in the Madisound MD38T tower cabinet.

The tweeter used is the Scan-Speak “AirCirc” D3004/6600. This is the most advanced release from the Revelator tweeter line. The mid/bass driver is the Scan-Speak 18W/8531G. This 7” slit paper cone driver is widely considered one of the best mid/bass units in existence. The combination of these drivers and Zaph’s design expertise has yielded a world-class speaker system.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:47 pm