The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all products and all products

ST-70 without a load

ST-70 without a load

Post by ixe13 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:29 pm

Once in a while on ebay you can see a vintage ST-70 on sale, with a bunch of photos.

More than a few times, though, I've noticed the seller show the amp turned on to show that it's working fine, which is very nice, very upfront to do that, I think,
    Buuuut, the amp in on without speakers connected to it Shocked

Nothing conneted to the input, nothing connected to the speakers output...

Obviously, the seller doesn't know much about tube amps I suppose. Isn't it risky to do something like that?

If the amp is on idle, what are the chance that it could cause some problems?

Thanx for any thoughts

Bob Latino

Re: ST-70 without a load

Post by Bob Latino on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:06 pm

Personally, I won't turn an ST-70 amp on or any tube amp without a load (the speakers connected). Now in reality, the amp will probably be fine as long as the amp is "on idle" with no music playing. As an aside, I have seen ST-70's that would not bias properly without the speakers connected. One that I recall years ago gave a "cycling bias" with no speaker connected. The bias kept going up and down, up and down above and below the set bias point. When I connected the speakers on this particular amp, the bias settled right down and held steady.

Current date/time is Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:16 am