Any recommendations other than the obvious kits that Roy supplies?
Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products
I have the Underwood modified version and sometimes use it direct into the amps, but most of the time I use a Parasound Halo JC2.ramon68 wrote:I bought a used PS audio GCPH phono amp on Audiogon. It allows me to run a low output MC cartridge directly into my power amps. It has a volume control, swichable loading, and swichable gain of up to 66dB. You can buy an old U.S. made one for around $500.
I can relate to your desire to control the tonal qualities due to certain recordings. My system (ST-70 VTA amp and Cornwalls) really brings out the best and the worst of recordings.ArlanB wrote:I purchased my VTA ST120 almost 4 years ago and have been driving it with a Dynaco PAT-4 preamp that I purchased refurbished at that time and it has been serving me well ever since. I use the system almost exclusively for my vinyl listening. I am from what you would call old school audiophiles. I believe in tone controls because there are recordings that were so poorly mastered they need help. I like the ability to set the controls in the center position (out of circuit) for 98% of my library and for the other 2% make adjustments to make them listenable. Sometime in the future when I can afford it I would like to upgrade to a tubes4hifi preamp kit. However until then the old Dynaco fills the gap well.
I concur. I run a DAC directly into the ST-120 with the optional stepped attenuator to control volume and it sounds wonderful. The less the better as far as I'm concerned.But if you have a CD only source, then all you need is a tube amp.