The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Hello from new Mark VI owner

ricohman

Hello from new Mark VI owner

Post by ricohman on Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:14 pm

I just discovered this forum last night and I thought I would say hello as I am presently recapping and rebuilding a pair of Dynaco Mark VI monoblocks.
    Here are a few pics.

One of my amps has a bad tube and the alternate Japanese transformers. It is nearly 5lb heavier than its "little" brother.

I have ordered new caps, resistors and the dual section cans. I also bought two sets of matched 8417's.

I'm not a tube amp guru but I have learned a lot. These are my first tube amps and they will be powering a set of Altec 19's. I don't know what the future holds for these amps as they are fairly rare and the supply of the expensive 8417's is dwindling.

Bob Latino
    Admin

Re: Hello from new Mark VI owner

Post by Bob Latino on Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi - and welcome to the Dynaco Tube Audio Forum. Yes - not too many of the Mark VI's were made. The amp (unless modified) can only use the 8417 output tubes. You may want to investigate the changes that would be necessary to convert them to use 6550 or KT88 output tubes. Triode Electronics has some info on how to do this here > Convert an amp from 8417 output tubes to use 6550 output tubes

Bob

Sal

Post by Sal on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:52 pm

Welcome to the forum. I also have a pair of Mark VI's, but I have not connected to them speakers yet. Yours pair are in very nice condition. Hopefully your 8417's test good as they are hard to find NOS. I managed to snag a couple of NOS quads as my amps did not come with tubes. Well 1 amp had 6550's in them.

Sal

ricohman

Post by ricohman on Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:04 pm

Thanks for the welcome.
    I hope to learn more about these amps and tube amps in general. I am going to run these in the factory configuration when they are recapped.
    I have read some about using different tubes but that is way out of my knowledge base and I would have to ship them somewhere. And when you live in rural Saskatchewan somewhere is a long way and these amps are 55lbs each.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:40 am

Current date/time is Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:40 am