The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+9
Roy Mottram
j4570
j beede
frank
Tube Nube
GP49
danf
Bob Latino
JunkyJan
13 posters

Power cables: Midnight Headaches, or "Why am I so stupid?"

Luddite
    Luddite

Power cables: Midnight Headaches, or "Why am I so stupid?" - Page 2 Empty Re: Power cables: Midnight Headaches, or "Why am I so stupid?"

Post by Luddite Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:20 pm

j beede wrote: I am barely old enough to remember Allied's retail stores and going to Olsen's as a boy was always a treat--grab bags of resistors, Russkit slot cars, you name it.

Fr

Oh yeah...lot's of cool stuff! Cool Great places to hang out on Saturdays! BTW: In the interest of full disclosure, my son-in-law is assistant manager of the Arlington, TX Fry's store. Wink
    davidness
    davidness

Power cables: Midnight Headaches, or "Why am I so stupid?" - Page 2 Empty Re: Power cables: Midnight Headaches, or "Why am I so stupid?"

Post by davidness Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:07 pm

Bob Latino wrote:Many people get an old Dynaco tube amp and as part of their "restoration" of the amp they pull the original Dynaco power cord and put in a big ass, fat, thick THREE WIRE AC power cord and ground the third wire to the chassis. They turn the amp on and discover that their once very quiet ST-70 now has a low level hum. The star grounding system on Dynaco tube amps was not designed for a 3 wire cord and in almost all cases the installation of the three wire cord will increase the hum level (if any) rather than decrease the hum level. If you want to replace the cord with a thicker three wire cord then do it > just cut off the third wire inside the amp.

Bob

I was one of these people that added a 3-wire cord. My ST120 was sounding great except for a bit of a hum from my very efficient Klipsch speakers. I just disconnected the ground wire and taped it off. Wow! That fixed it. My amp is now dead quiet!

Thanks Bob!
    edgobb
    edgobb

Post by edgobb Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:02 am

I love Fry's. It is one of those places that I can go and spend the entire day. I go in looking for one .$94 capacitor and leave having taken out a second mortgage.

Taking my wife to Fry's, I believe, has shown her what it is like for me to go shopping for shoes with her. Awesomely enough, our Fry's has a coffee shop and cafe in the center of it and my wife can chill in a coffee shop all day without complaint!

My only complaint is that, much like the Radio Shack of late, the people who work there know absolutely nothing about the actual electronic components other than (kind of) where to find them.

Much to my amusement, I had a guy in Radio Shack just yesterday say to me, "Man, I don't even know what tinned means. I can read the package to you if you want." I said "Thanks."

ed
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:21 pm

edgobb wrote: My only complaint is that, much like the Radio Shack of late, the people who work there know absolutely nothing about the actual electronic components other than (kind of) where to find them.

Much to my amusement, I had a guy in Radio Shack just yesterday say to me, "Man, I don't even know what tinned means. I can read the package to you if you want." I said "Thanks."

ed

On the other hand, I'll bet he could have told you about all the features of every cellphone in the store! Laughing

Best Regards,
    Charlie
    j beede
    j beede

Post by j beede Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:26 pm

As long as they know which aisle to direct me to when I ask where to find my items--I am happy. I used to live on the east coast where we would occasionally hear tales of a legendary place called "Fries"... When I fist visited the "old" Fry's on Lawrence in Santa Clara back around 1990 I was not disappointed!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:31 am