The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

FM-3's My First Love!!!

denny9167
    denny9167

FM-3's My First Love!!! Empty FM-3's My First Love!!!

Post by denny9167 Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:23 pm

Well after months of working on amplifiers,preamplifiers and loudspeakers,I finally brought out one of my FM-3's to re-tube,and play around with,and re-kindled an old love!!! What's old can always become new again,and I must say this the Dyanco FM-3 just does it for me. I am just about to put out my first MOTHERBOARD for the FM-3,using modern day DIP switches for easy alignment,which I know can be a headache sometimes. I have at least 4 FM-3's I want to re-build over the next few months would love some input. I want to salute Bill Thomas again for his wonderful admiration and dedication to the restoration of the FM-3's and 1's of course!!
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

FM-3's My First Love!!! Empty Re: FM-3's My First Love!!!

Post by Bob Latino Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi Denny,

The FM-3 is still one of the best SOUNDING tube tuners when aligned properly and given a fairly strong signal. They work really well in urban environments like a big city where the stations are plentiful and the signals are strong. They are not really a DX tuner for rural areas. The assembly manual's alignment procedure, which can be confusing at times, usually yields an alignment that can only be marginally improved with professional alignment gear. They are still one of the best DIY tuners out there.

When you do get your FM-3 motherboard finished be sure to post some photos of the board on the Forum here ..

Bob
    denny9167
    denny9167

Post by denny9167 Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:53 pm

Bob Latino wrote:Hi Denny,

The FM-3 is still one of the best SOUNDING tube tuners when aligned properly and given a fairly strong signal. They work really well in urban environments like a big city where the stations are plentiful and the signals are strong. They are not really a DX tuner for rural areas. The assembly manual's alignment procedure, which can be confusing at times, usually yields an alignment that can only be marginally improved with professional alignment gear. They are still one of the best DIY tuners out there.

When you do get your FM-3 motherboard finished be sure to post some photos of the board on the Forum here ..

Bob

Hey Bob,

Nice to hear from you again. I am simply amazed at the popularity of tubes now, I know solid state is trying to make a come back with class D amplifiers,but I think nothing can top tubes!! I've listened to the best of the solid state stuff from Krell to Threshold,and Levinson,but I keep coming back to tubes,and Yes the FM-3 is a wonderfully sounding tuner. I live in a fairly rural area,about 90 miles from the Dallas-Ft.Worth metroplex and with just a dipole I can pick up several DFW stations,especially in the evening,and morning. The selectivity I think is a bigger issue with these tuners. Thanks for the input,I will post a pictoral of the PCB here shortly.

Denny
    denny9167
    denny9167

Post by denny9167 Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:02 pm

Here is a pic of the PCB. I have highlighted the DIP switches.

FM-3's My First Love!!! FM-3Motherboard_zpsa3b2b004
    kygeezer

Post by kygeezer Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:24 pm

Hello Denny-
    I will be very interested in buying one of your motherboards. Any idea when available? Cost? Thanks!
    denny9167
    denny9167

Post by denny9167 Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:16 pm

kygeezer wrote:Hello Denny-
    I will be very interested in buying one of your motherboards. Any idea when available? Cost? Thanks!

I've got a few projects I'm trying to finish for another client,but I'm thinking a little over a month. The cost will be $120.00 for the board(silkscreening,and soldermasks)The board will also have the DIP switches already soldered on plus shipping,or if you want you can purchase the board without the silkscreen and soldermasks for $97.00 plus shipping.

I will include a set of schematics w/ instructions on using the dip switches for the alignment process,and you simply follow the instructions set out in the original FM-3 manual for the actual adjustments.
    kygeezer

Post by kygeezer Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:02 am

Denny-
    I've been out of town, but put me down for one of your motherboards (the silkscreened one with dip switches on board) when available!
    denny9167
    denny9167

Post by denny9167 Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:57 am

kygeezer wrote:Denny-
    I've been out of town, but put me down for one of your motherboards (the silkscreened one with dip switches on board) when available!

I sure will,thanks

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am