The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

VTA ST70 vs. Quicksilver Mid Mono

gouldglen

VTA ST70 vs. Quicksilver Mid Mono Empty VTA ST70 vs. Quicksilver Mid Mono

Post by gouldglen Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:37 pm

I am wondering if anyone has had opportunity to directly compare these two amps. I would be very curious to hear what the results were.
    Thanks,
    D
    peterh
    peterh

VTA ST70 vs. Quicksilver Mid Mono Empty Re: VTA ST70 vs. Quicksilver Mid Mono

Post by peterh Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:08 am

gouldglen wrote:I am wondering if anyone has had opportunity to directly compare these two amps. I would be very curious to hear what the results were.
    Thanks,
    D
    vta70 will cost half the money amd is documented ( has freely available schematics), in addition
    vta also has abundant supply of spareparts indepenently of vendor ( you will be able
    to replace a failed transformer in 20 years)
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 pm

Nice looking amp. Perhaps a more apples to apples comparison would be the Mk III monoblocks, that have also received the VTA treatment. The price point is a bit closer, but you have to wonder how big is the margin in an audio boutique, versus the DIY world. Things really tip toward the VTA version--I would submit, but consider this...

For still less than the Quicksilvers, you could get a pair of Bob Latino's monster blocks...ok, that's my name for them, not his. 4 output tubes per amp, a beefed up tranny, and the VTA driver boards we all know and love.

Mayve someone on the forum can help locate a Dynakit owner in a neighborhood near you to go and hear.

If you're ever in Calary, you're welcome to drop in and hear my ST 70. If it doesnt impress the heck out of you, i'll ... I'll . . . buy you a beer!

;-)

Meantime, enjoy your quest for what's best. It's a fun stage to be in!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am