The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+10
Andy Jersey
Roy Mottram
Avinunca
hansfob
denny9167
Flyquail56
DynakitParts
GP49
peterh
Bob Latino
14 posters

A gold plated Dynaco ST-70 for $3K - photo

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

A gold plated Dynaco ST-70 for $3K - photo Empty A gold plated Dynaco ST-70 for $3K - photo

Post by Bob Latino Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:52 am

Below we have a gold plated Dynaco ST-70 now on sale on Ebay for the princely sum of $2995. Photos and the Ebay link below .. This has got to be the most expensive ST-70 variant ever .. I don't think that the vendor will sell too many of these ...

Gold plated Dynaco ST-70 on Ebay ..

Bob

A gold plated Dynaco ST-70 for $3K - photo DynacoST70Gold
    peterh
    peterh

A gold plated Dynaco ST-70 for $3K - photo Empty Re: A gold plated Dynaco ST-70 for $3K - photo

Post by peterh Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:27 am

I like the output connectors, anyone knows where to buy those or what the brand is ?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

A gold plated Dynaco ST-70 for $3K - photo Empty Re: A gold plated Dynaco ST-70 for $3K - photo

Post by Bob Latino Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:45 am

Hi Peter,

I believe that those strips are 4 lug "barrier strips". Just Google barrier strips and I am sure that you can find them online.

Bob
    GP49

Post by GP49 Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:14 am

Bob Latino wrote:Hi Peter,

I believe that those strips are 4 lug "barrier strips". Just Google barrier strips and I am sure that you can find them online.

Bob

Yup. But those you find online won't be gold plated.

Whoop-de-doo... What a Face
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:30 pm

I did look around but i'm not shure of what i see.
    The nice with the "barrier strips" on the gold-70 is that connections seem to
    be done from the back, leaving the screws available to speaker connections.

I have found simular in sweden but without possibility to connect from the back.
    So if anyone can give me a brand/model or a distributor of barriers strips
    like those on the gold-70 i would be happy.
    ( maybe bob could have them as option for his amp-series? Some folks
    want 4-8-16 ohms connectors available )
    GP49

Post by GP49 Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:45 pm

peterh wrote:I did look around but i'm not shure of what i see.

I have found simular in sweden but without possibility to connect from the back.

NTE 25-B100-04 4 Pole Solder Lug Type Barrier Terminal Strip

Available from many other vendors as well.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:55 pm

GP49 wrote:
    peterh wrote:I did look around but i'm not shure of what i see.

NTE 25-B100-04 4 Pole Solder Lug Type Barrier Terminal Strip

Available from many other vendors as well.
    Great thanks.

However when trying to buy them the answer from parts-express.com is:
    Minimum Requirements:
    Sorry, this order does not meet the required minium dollar amount for an international order.
    Please added $39.32 to your order.

I have very little use for 40 of these :-(

But thanks for the url, i'll try to find them in europe.
    DynakitParts
    DynakitParts

A gold plated Dynaco ST-70 for $3K - photo Empty Gold Plated ST-70

Post by DynakitParts Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:27 pm

Hi,
    Surprised to see this unit is still using the selenium rectifier?

I see quite a few polystyrene caps both below & topside also.

Plating & silk-screening looks very professional.

I cannot justify spending $3K on this amp....Maybe Sean Combs "Puff Daddy" would be
    a potential buyer for this?

Kevin

Flyquail56

Post by Flyquail56 Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:01 pm

DynakitParts wrote:
    Hi,
    Surprised to see this unit is still using the selenium rectifier?

I see quite a few polystyrene caps both below & topside also.

Plating & silk-screening looks very professional.

I cannot justify spending $3K on this amp....Maybe Sean Combs "Puff Daddy" would be
    a potential buyer for this?

Kevin

Yes, and I am guessing that those 390 pF polystyrene caps are not 1000V rated either. Wonder how long they will last Very Happy
    denny9167
    denny9167

Post by denny9167 Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:35 pm

I wonder does the gold plating do anything for the sound,or is this just another tactic to make a quick buck. It saddens me that someone would take a really good Dynaco product and flaunt it's Historic reputation,simply to make a few extra dollars!!
    hansfob
    hansfob

Post by hansfob Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:33 pm

There is nothing about this amplifier that would entice me to outlay the asking price. Actually there is nothing about this amplifier that I'd want to buy it at any price. As we say in England, it is nothing but Mutton dressed as Lamb. Good luck to anybody that may wish to buy it.

Only my opinion of course.
    Avinunca

Post by Avinunca Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:12 pm

I think the expression 'mutton dressed as lamb' is rather inappropriate as it usually refers to an item which isn't very desirable. The normal VT-70 is a great looking piece of kit, especially when the chassis is in good condition - nice and shiny.
    This is evidently a money making exercise and there may be someone out there with more money than sense but I think it's naff. I hope that most people into valve amps would be more discerning.
    DynakitParts
    DynakitParts

A gold plated Dynaco ST-70 for $3K - photo Empty Mutton vs Lamb

Post by DynakitParts Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:21 pm

I'll let you two Brits argue this one...Personally, I prefer New Zealand lamb.

Cheers..Kevin
    Avinunca

Post by Avinunca Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:43 pm

DynakitParts wrote:
    I'll let you two Brits argue this one...Personally, I prefer New Zealand lamb.

Cheers..Kevin

I'm sure that my fellow countryman would agree that Welsh lamb is the best in the World! Very Happy
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:59 pm

it's all stock, so it's a 50 year old design. There is no "make an offer" which MAYBE I'd go for $895.
    Sorry, I'll take a new VTA70, and almost two full ounces of real gold Eagle coins, will look and sound WAY better to me!
    Andy Jersey

Post by Andy Jersey Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:36 pm

I'd go as far as to say it is nice looking and a very nice build. Waste of money , but its pretty.
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:44 am

Interesting... Looks like something you would see in the Neiman Marcus Christmas catalog. Wonder how thick is the plating?...
    anbitet66
    anbitet66

Post by anbitet66 Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:33 pm

Just out of curiosity,wow did he save the silk screening? I've seen ST-70's that were stripped, cleaned and re-plated, but I don't recall anyone having the screening reproduced. I would be interested in knowing where and typically how much it would cost for something like that. scratch
    msupr

Post by msupr Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:17 am

all it take is mone! and it looks like money was no object on this rebuild.
    Looks great! I agree with the comment above looks like it is a piece from a high end Christmas Catalog.
    GP49

Post by GP49 Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:28 am

anbitet66 wrote:Just out of curiosity,wow did he save the silk screening? I've seen ST-70's that were stripped, cleaned and re-plated, but I don't recall anyone having the screening reproduced. I would be interested in knowing where and typically how much it would cost for something like that. scratch

He didn't. That's NEW silkscreening. The fonts are different from the original Dynaco; not a whole lot, so the basic "feel" is maintained.
    mantha3
    mantha3

Post by mantha3 Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:18 pm

I like the Bias controls on it. It would be cool to have 4 of the exact same in Chrome plating and sitting on the inside of each of the 4 KT88s in my ST120.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:24 am