The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Slight hum in PAS3 - Stereo 70 system

kygeezer

Slight hum in PAS3 - Stereo 70 system

Post by kygeezer on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:32 pm

I upgraded my Stereo 70 (with the Welborne Labs mod - before I found this site!) and all the Tubes4hifi upgrades to my PAS3. They were dead quiet, but I have since put the PAS3 and my FM3 in the double size Dynaco walnut cabinet. Neither of them have cages. Now, I can hear a very slight hum regardless of the volume setting. I have tried reversing the AC plugs on all components, with no improvements. Before I take things apart, would adding the metal cages to both PAS3 and FM3 likely cure my hum? Since discovering this terrific site, I have come to rely on the knowledge of all you great members!

Bob Latino
    Admin

Re: Slight hum in PAS3 - Stereo 70 system

Post by Bob Latino on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:55 pm

Hi,

Yes - Putting the METAL tube cage at least back on the PAS-3 should drop the hum level to a much lower level. It will probably help on the FM-3 also. Another thing you can try is to use shorting plugs on the phono or tape head input. These two inputs will amplify and hum in the preamp to a much greater degree than the high level inputs. With a shorting plug they will pick up virtually no noise from the preamp's circuitry.

A shorting plug is regular RCA male input jack with an intended short wire between the center pin and outer shield of the plug.

Bob

kygeezer

Slight hum

Post by kygeezer on Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:35 pm

Thank you, Bob. I'll give it a try and get back to you.

kygeezer

Slight Hum

Post by kygeezer on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:06 pm

As usual, Bob, you aced it! Just finished puting both metal cages back on and what do I hear - nothing! Just blessed silence. I didn't realize it would make such a difference. Again, thank you.

Sponsored content

Re: Slight hum in PAS3 - Stereo 70 system

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:11 pm

Current date/time is Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:11 pm