The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Tube Newbie with a Speaker Question

Sprags

Tube Newbie with a Speaker Question Empty Tube Newbie with a Speaker Question

Post by Sprags Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:55 pm

The speakers I am going to use with the VTA ST-120 Bob Latino is wiring for me have the capabilty of being bi-amped or bi-wired (i think) I went to a high end audio store a few weekends ago and told the sales person my plan to buy a tube amp from a person I know. The store he worked at handled McIntosh along with another tube amp manufacturer so I listened to what he told with belief that what he was telling me is true. He said if the speaker I choose has the capabilities I mentioned that I could put a jumper between the speaker inputs and connect the speakers using what I thought he told me was a bi-wiring configuraton and the speakers and system would take advantage of the amps power and sound better this way. Is this true?

Of course I can also connect the speakers without jumpers and have them wired to the amp the 'conventional'or standard way right?

Thanks in advance....Blake

hawaii.ken
    hawaii.ken

Tube Newbie with a Speaker Question Empty Re: Tube Newbie with a Speaker Question

Post by hawaii.ken Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:33 pm

Sprags wrote:I could put a jumper between the speaker inputs and connect the speakers using what I thought he told me was a bi-wiring configuraton and the speakers and system would take advantage of the amps power and sound better this way.

That would take 2 amps I think.

Depending your speaker's efficiency that may not a problem.
    Sprags

Tube Newbie with a Speaker Question Empty Re: Tube Newbie with a Speaker Question

Post by Sprags Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:35 pm

Got it. Thank! Blake
    wedg714
    wedg714

Post by wedg714 Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:33 am

what model speakers are you planning on using?
    Sprags

Post by Sprags Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:07 am

I have decided to go with Polk Audio LSiM 703's. I bought them from the companies eBay web site. They were delivered yesterday. I connected them to a Sony A/V receiver just to check them out. i am amazed at the sound quality.

I can't wait to get them hooked to my VTA ST -120 amp in a few weeks. I can only imagine them being only even better sounding. Additionally they will be broken in by then too.
    hawaii.ken
    hawaii.ken

Post by hawaii.ken Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:05 am

Efficiency: 88 dB
    Recommended Amplifier Power: 20-200 watts per channel

You should be OK with the VTA ST-120.
    Sprags

Post by Sprags Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:50 am

They aren't the most efficient but I like the way they sound like they aren't there.
    sailor

Post by sailor Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:58 pm

If you wish to bi-wire you must remove the jumper wires between the two sets of speaker inputs and run 2 sets of wires from the same output of the amp [piggyback]. Check the manual for your speakers. Then at the speaker you would hook one set of wires to each speaker input. But I wouldn't bother. It's a good way for them to sell you 2 sets instead of one set of there very expensive speaker cables. Removing the jumper separates the Bass speaker and its crossover from the other speakers and there crossover parts.
    Bi-amping requires the removal of your crossover, the addition of an electronic crossover and at least 2 amps. This is a good method but there is a problem. Many speaker drivers are not perfect and require correction in the form of shelving or weird crossover points. Example, my maggies crossover the bass at 350HZ. but to correct for a bump in the midrange it crosses it at 500hz. A electronic crossover would cross both at 350 and leave 6 to 12 db hump in the midrange.
    It's best to stay simple and use one amp. 1 set of speaker wires into 1 set of speakers.
    That's my 2 cents.
    Sprags

Post by Sprags Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:59 pm

After posting that question which I did before getting the speakers I opened the speaker box and read the owners manual on how to bi-amp the speakers. I have another set of speakers with bi-amp/bi-wiring capabilities and because of the Sony receiver being a Home Theater 7.2 channel smp i tried out that setup on the other speakers. There really wasn't a sonic improvement so far as I could tell. I'm going to keep my tube amp system as simple as possible for the speaker wiring setup.

Thanks for the input everyone....Blake

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm