The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

update on the retrofit of the low gain driver board in a ST-120

kevinmi
    kevinmi

update on the retrofit of the low gain driver board in a ST-120 Empty update on the retrofit of the low gain driver board in a ST-120

Post by kevinmi Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:01 pm

It's been a few months since I've upgraded my ST-120 to the newer driver board, so here are my observations: I am hearing more detail overall it seems, but the bass seems different, like maybe not as pronounced. It might be that the bass is more defined, or that I'm just not used to the lower gain. I have a pair of Epik Empire subs, so bass is not an issue, it's just different. Also, the Russian PIO caps aren't fully broken in yet, so that may contribute to the bass response as well.
    I have 4 pair of vintage 12ua7 tubes coming, so I can start tube rolling after everything is broken in. I'm very happy with the sound of the amplifier and believe the new driver board will be a big improvement in the long run.
    I almost bought a very expensive Cary amplifier a couple of weeks ago to match my Cary Preamplifier, but I backed out of the sale because I don't think I can get a better sounding amplifier at any price!

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 am