The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
ramon68
Bob Latino
6 posters

Madisound is now making a Dynaco A-25 speaker clone KIT

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Dynaco speaker - Madisound is now making a Dynaco A-25 speaker clone KIT Empty Madisound is now making a Dynaco A-25 speaker clone KIT

Post by Bob Latino Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:52 pm

Dynaco speaker - Madisound is now making a Dynaco A-25 speaker clone KIT A26%20kit%20pair

Madisound is now making a clone of the original Dynaco A-25 speaker in KIT form called the Madisound "A-26" See more at the link below ... The Dynaco A-25 is said to be the most widely sold speaker of all time ...

Madisound A-26 clone kit of the original Dynaco A-25

Bob

ramon68

Dynaco speaker - Madisound is now making a Dynaco A-25 speaker clone KIT Empty Re: Madisound is now making a Dynaco A-25 speaker clone KIT

Post by ramon68 Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:31 pm

A little pricey for what it is. $1200 base price for a nothing special 2 way kit. Must be aimed at old fart nostalgia buffs who yearn for their dorm days. (I'm 72 so I can say that.)
    Luddite
    Luddite

Dynaco speaker - Madisound is now making a Dynaco A-25 speaker clone KIT Empty Re: Madisound is now making a Dynaco A-25 speaker clone KIT

Post by Luddite Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:29 pm

ramon68 wrote:A little pricey for what it is. $1200 base price for a nothing special 2 way kit. Must be aimed at old fart nostalgia buffs who yearn for their dorm days. (I'm 72 so I can say that.)

I built a pair of A25 clones similar to these a couple of years ago. I used the lower cost SEAS Prestige 27TDFC tweeters and a (NOS)pair of SEAS 25F-EW woofers (the predecessor to the A26RE4). These were installed in vibration damped Baltic birch enclosures with Scan-Speak aperiodic vents. My cost for all the parts (including shipping) was under $700. After spending a few weeks experimenting with the crossovers, I would consider the sound of the finished product to be well above that of the average speakers available today, perhaps even bordering on "high end". It appears that the reason the A26 kits are in the $1200 range is primarily due to the T35C-002 tweeters which sell individually for $232 apiece as opposed to the 27TDFC tweeters selling for $50 apiece.

Best Regards,
    Charlie
    GP49

Post by GP49 Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:56 pm

The drivers, crossover, cabinet stuffing and terminals are $758 plus shipping for a pair.
    Everything you need except the cabinets, and the dimensions for building them are on the
    website, where you can look them over for free.

However, I'm no great shakes at woodworking...and that's putting it mildly!
    Tom

Post by Tom Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:13 pm

TorontoDave

Post by TorontoDave Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:19 pm

I was really tempted by the A26's, then of course I looked deeper, I'm currently drooling over a pair of Frugal Horns from Planet10 Hifi.

The A26's look nice, and have the added "Dynaco" heritage thing going for it, but the Frugal Horns have advantage of better frequency response (40hz-30Khz) and better efficiency - not to mention a lower price tag (about half the cost).

My plan is to build the frugal horns and a SP14 to go with my new ST-120.

David

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:19 am