The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
Zimmer64
Sprags
6 posters

Tube Amp and Preamp Break In procedures and recommendations

Sprags

Tube Amp and Preamp Break In procedures and recommendations Empty Tube Amp and Preamp Break In procedures and recommendations

Post by Sprags Wed May 08, 2013 7:51 pm

Hi all,
    Just wondering if there are any procedures, recommendations or suggestions as how to breakin tube amp equipment? Any differences on what to do for preamps vs. amps? I've had my amp for about 3 weeks and ran it without a preamp using just the attenuator for a couple of weeks between preamps. Made sure I didn't crank it up past 11 or 12 o'clock during that time. Wondering about how to care for my preamp.
    Thanks....Blake
    Zimmer64
    Zimmer64

Tube Amp and Preamp Break In procedures and recommendations Empty Re: Tube Amp and Preamp Break In procedures and recommendations

Post by Zimmer64 Thu May 09, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi Blake,

I dont do anything special and just use my new gear as often as I can. With new stuff I usually leave the music playing even when I am not at home. Output coupling caps, especially the PIO ones, need the longest in my experience. Some say, they need 200+ hours.

Enjoy

Michael
    Sprags

Tube Amp and Preamp Break In procedures and recommendations Empty Re: Tube Amp and Preamp Break In procedures and recommendations

Post by Sprags Thu May 09, 2013 12:03 pm

Thanks Mike.
    Sprags

Post by Sprags Sun May 12, 2013 2:32 am

Just wondering...if I'm going to listen for an hour or so and then go on to another task for an hour or so is it better to leave the amp and preamp on or turn it off for that hour? How long does it take for the tubes to warm up to the optimum sonic capability?

Last edited by Sprags on Sun May 12, 2013 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
    Zimmer64
    Zimmer64

Post by Zimmer64 Sun May 12, 2013 2:58 am

I find the sound improves most noticeably in the first 20 minutes or so. But I could swear it is best after more than an hour. On weekends, when I listen the most, I usually leave the entite system switched on until I turn in. Weekdays I turn it off, when I cant listen for more than an hour.

Best

Mike
    Sprags

Post by Sprags Sun May 12, 2013 3:04 am

Thanks again Mike....Cheers.
    Blake
    Laminarman

Post by Laminarman Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:38 pm

I know I'm rehashing an old thread here. But, is it OK to leave the amp playing 24/7 with volume turned all the way down at times to get the hours in?
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:42 am

Sprags wrote:Just wondering...if I'm going to listen for an hour or so and then go on to another task for an hour or so is it better to leave the amp and preamp on or turn it off for that hour? How long does it take for the tubes to warm up to the optimum sonic capability?

At one point I was turning my ST120 on mid afternoon most days and leaving it on till I turned in post midnight. No noticeable sonic differences between that and just turning it off after a session though. I put meters on mine for quick checks on bias and that does take a bit to ramp up. Good readings after a couple minutes, but guaranteed rock stable at around five minutes after power up.

PS ... I just turned the system on and checked the board to kill five minutes while it warmed up. Should be ready to go now, so bye ...  tongue 
    frank
    frank

Post by frank Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:54 am

Laminarman wrote:I know I'm rehashing an old thread here. But, is it OK to leave the amp playing 24/7 with volume turned all the way down at times to get the hours in?

This can be a rather esoteric question. Some might say that during the break-in period, what is really happening is: your brain is adapting to the sound of the amp. I tend to disagree with that concept, but I could be wrong......

In the theory I choose to accept: the break-in has most to do with varying the voltages through the capacitors (charging and discharging). I also tend to believe the other circuitry benefits from break-in as well. My presumption then would lead me to answer with: no, you must play actual music at an actual level of audible volume, in order to fully break-in the amp.

Happy listening!

Last edited by fswidecki on Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:04 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : grammaratitian at it again)
    GP49

Post by GP49 Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:25 am

fswidecki wrote:
    Laminarman wrote:I know I'm rehashing an old thread here.  But, is it OK to leave the amp playing 24/7 with volume turned all the way down at times to get the hours in?  

This can be a rather esoteric question. Some might say that during the break-in period, what is really happening is: your brain is adapting to the sound of the amp. I tend to disagree with that concept, but I could be wrong......

In the theory I choose to accept: the break-in has most to do with varying the voltages through the capacitors (charging and discharging). I also tend to believe the other circuitry benefits from break-in as well.  My presumption then would lead me to answer with: no, you must play actual music at an actual level of audible volume, in order to fully break-in the amp.

You could have stacked a bunch of Christmas records on your record changer and done the break-in that way. Until tonight.

What? You don't own a record changer??  What a Face 
    frank
    frank

Post by frank Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:35 am

GP49 wrote:You could have stacked a bunch of Christmas records on your record changer and done the break-in that way. Until tonight.

What? You don't own a record changer??  What a Face 

There's that too!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:33 pm