The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

attenuator question

billy-toby

attenuator question

Post by billy-toby on Sat May 18, 2013 9:21 pm

Attenuators are all the rage as replacements for volume control pots, but can one do the same thing to upgrade the pots in a tone-control circuit? Perhaps the logs would be different from a volume control, but can't the switches be stuffed with any combination of resistors we'd need?

(Please note, the question is not about whether one "should" use tone controls.)

Cheers,
    Bill

hawaii.ken

Re: attenuator question

Post by hawaii.ken on Sat May 18, 2013 10:35 pm

http://rssconsultancy.co.uk/atten.html

kaner

Post by kaner on Sun May 19, 2013 8:37 pm

I spent a lot of time figuring out the best pairs (for me) of resistors for an attenuated volume control but it never occurred to me to worry about tone control? I personally do not have any tone control on my audio amps but mess with it all the time on my guitar amps. I think it's a great question.

Tom

Post by Tom on Mon May 20, 2013 8:39 am

If nothing else, it adds one-up points.

"Oh, (sniff) you still have pots on your tone control...."

WinkRazz

Tom

billy-toby

Post by billy-toby on Tue May 21, 2013 8:31 pm

So, how about it fellas? Can stepped attenuators be used for tone controls, and would the advantages be the same as when upgrading a volume control?

Cheers, Bill

ramon68

Post by ramon68 on Tue May 21, 2013 9:40 pm

Why would you want to? The whole point of high fidelity is FIDELITY.

j beede

Post by j beede on Wed May 22, 2013 1:04 am

Of course you can use a stepped attenuator as a replacement for a tone control. In its most basic form you could use a double pole double throw toggle switch with fixed resistors to provide a choice between "low" tone and "high" tone. The stepped attenuator is basically an n-throw switch to provide access to a range of fixed resistor values.

GP49

Post by GP49 on Wed May 22, 2013 11:05 am

ramon68 wrote:Why would you want to? The whole point of high fidelity is FIDELITY.

For me, the whole point of high fidelity is optimally reproducing the original performance, and it's beyond
    doubt that some record producers tamper with frequency response to make their recordings sound "hotter" or
    "thumpier" or "more present." Tone controls, in such cases, can help restore the ORIGINAL fidelity before it was
    tampered with.

Particularly egregious: recordings where modern-day "remastering engineers," who never heard the originals, decide
    they need to "enhance" the audio to make it sound "today."

For perfect records there is always (in much equipment) the tone control bypass. Even Dynaco, in the 1960s,
    realized that!

j beede

Post by j beede on Thu May 23, 2013 12:23 am

As far as I most every pair of Magneplanar loudspeakers comes with a crude "tone control" in the form of a 1 Ohm resistor to tame the QR tweeter. My tube preamp came with metal film resistors that plug into the phono stage to correctly "load" the MC input. Inserting a pair of 220 Ohm resistors to load my MC cartridge undeniably impacts tonal balance.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:59 am

Current date/time is Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:59 am