The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

ST-120 Wooden enclosure .

pigface

ST-120 Wooden  enclosure . Empty ST-120 Wooden enclosure .

Post by pigface Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:58 pm

With all the custom enclosures popping up lately , I decided since I had some left over mahogany scraps left over from another project that I would build a cover for my ST-120 . It doesn't make it sound any better but it looks neat .
    Its basicly a three sided box and the amp slides in from the back . The bias sockets are set in a little but still easy to access .

Its just over two years old now and still sounds great. It still has all the original tubes in it except I swapped out the center mullard for a telefunkin last year .
    ST-120 Wooden  enclosure . IMG_6083

ST-120 Wooden  enclosure . Empty Re: ST-120 Wooden enclosure .

Post by Guest Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:32 pm

That's a cool looking unit. It looks like an antique. Well done. It's given me some ideas.
    Sprags

Post by Sprags Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:13 pm

I like that. It gives me an idea for my stock ST-120.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:58 pm

I like that. It gives me an idea for my not so stock ST-120. tongue

The logo on the front is neet ... how'd you do that? I was searching fleabay and came up with this for mine ...

ST-120 Wooden  enclosure . 468416702_tp

Comes from a golf cart ... If you don't feel like buying one, maybe you can steal one from the local course ...

I also found this ...

ST-120 Wooden  enclosure . 2810483525614040_1

I think it came of a 1960's era Imperial Crown Coupe battle cruiser. Also seems to me there was a Crown tube amplifier way back in the day. Should work to confuse the heck out of anyone who has the real deal.

I do hope mine comes out looking at least half as good as yours.

pigface

Post by pigface Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:38 pm

The stainless ST-120 cases are nice but but it doesn't go with anything else in my room so I made this cover for it .

I didn't think of it before but it does have an antique look to it. Like an old tube radio .

Thanks , The "logo" is inlaid wood . I spent a couple evenings routing and cutting out tiny 3/16" grooves in the main panel and inlaying pieces of Ebony and Paduk wood in them .
    I saw something like it in a picture on the "net" and thought it would look good on the front panel . I put a couple black lines by the sockets to remind me which were the bias points .

I want to do PH-15 soon for my other system and I'm thinking of making a wood enclosure similar to this for it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:21 am