The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Mark 11 or Mark 111 which to keep?

53rogerb

Mark 11 or Mark 111 which to keep?

Post by 53rogerb on Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:29 pm

I picked up a Mark 111 at an estate sale a month ago long with a preamp and turner. $10, sometimes I get lucky. I powered it up with a variac and itworks. Yesterday I got a Mark 11 from a guy I have been talking to for a year about a Dynaco amp he was going to sell. I finally saw and bought it yesterday. Unfortunately it was a Mark 11. Now my dilemma, Which to keep and rebuild. I am leaning toward the Mark 111. Of course I will need to find another. My first tube amp I got last year (HK A50K) so pretty new to tubes. What do you think?

hawaii.ken

Re: Mark 11 or Mark 111 which to keep?

Post by hawaii.ken on Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:36 pm

Keep both. Upgrade the Mark-II to a Mark-III at least until you find another Mark-III.

53rogerb

Post by 53rogerb on Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:07 pm

I thought about doing that but I think I would just buy another amp instead of putting money into the one I won't keep.

sKiZo

Post by sKiZo on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:35 pm

+1 on both!

Doesn't sound like you've got much into them, so decide which one you really want to work on, and stash the other on a shelf. Make a nice little project down the line when you get bored ...

GP49

Post by GP49 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:18 am

If you don't need a 4Ω tap, a Mark II can be converted to be the equivalent of a Mark III...and some Mark II were supplied from Dynaco (at additional cost) WITH a 4Ω tap, in which case a converted one would be totally the functional equivalent.

Other than normal restoration parts and possible tweaking of the bias string and cathode resistor, you'd need new output and rectifier tubes (which you might have needed anyway on a used Mark III) and the filter choke.

53rogerb

Post by 53rogerb on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:24 am

Thanks for your input Think I will try to find another Mark 111 Rather than convert the 11. The Mark 11 has a black cage instead of a brown one.

GP49

Post by GP49 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:13 am

53rogerb wrote:Thanks for your input Think I will try to find another Mark 111 Rather than convert the 11. The Mark 11 has a black cage instead of a brown one.

True. The original Mark II did have black cages and their cages mounted differently, with an
    outer flange that fully covered the outside of the chassis instead of a short flange that
    was held inside the bottom cover.

The newest Mark II have brown cages identical to the Mark III cages. I believe this applies
    to most "4Ω" samples.

Another cosmetic difference: the older Mark II have dull plating on their chassis.
    The Mark III have bright chrome.

To me the outwardly appearance really doesn't matter; my power amplifiers are hidden
    and when I acquired them, the Mark II were dirt-cheap; I have not needed the 4Ω tap.
    If they were not hidden, I might repaint the cages; they look rather tattered. just as
    when I bought the amps but I put all the effort into the rebuild and upgrade of the
    chassis and the electronics.

My brother did use a Mark II/Mark III combination but then he went to transistors. I
    think his amps are sleeping in his closet, these days.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:50 am

Current date/time is Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:50 am