The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

how to bias my tubes on a ST70 without any biasing points?

triotary

how to bias my tubes on a ST70 without any biasing points? Empty how to bias my tubes on a ST70 without any biasing points?

Post by triotary Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:06 am

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum. Recently got myself a rebuilt ST70 with the older VTA driver board (non CCS) and TriodeElectronics Power Supply board. I need to bias my EL34 tubes, however I'm facing a problem.
    My ST70 does not come with the dual front biasing socket. Where am I suppose probe my positive pin of my multimeter to measure the DC voltage?

Many thanks in advance!
    triotary

how to bias my tubes on a ST70 without any biasing points? Empty Re: how to bias my tubes on a ST70 without any biasing points?

Post by triotary Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:09 am

I did read up a few diagrams and instructions, from my understanding, am I suppose to probe on pin #8 of each output tube?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

how to bias my tubes on a ST70 without any biasing points? Empty Re: how to bias my tubes on a ST70 without any biasing points?

Post by Bob Latino Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:39 am

Hi,

If you don't have any place to measure bias on the outside of the chassis then you have to open the amp up. Measure the bias from pin 8 to chassis ground on each output tube. Use the 0 to 2 volt DC scale on your meter. For EL34 output tubes set each tube to .400 DC. That is POINT 4 volts DC which is 4/10 of a volt.

Bob
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:59 am

triotary wrote:I did read up a few diagrams and instructions, from my understanding, am I suppose to probe on pin #8 of each output tube?
    Yes. But you will have to figure out q few things :
    - is each channel using a common catode resistor ?
    - how large is that resistor

Depending on your findings you will have to calculate the voltage across the resistor.
    Dynaco stock used a 15.6 ohm resistor common to both tubes in each channel, the
    recommended voltage is 1.56V which will give 50mA / tube.

More modern gear might have a different value, and the current wizdom
    is to use 40mA / tube as a startingpoint.

Finally: if you don't have any measuring connections outside i would recomment that you create one.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:05 am

The original poster mentioned that this amp had a VTA driver board. I can check with Roy but AFAIK the VTA driver board always used a fixed (adjustable) bias system with a 10 ohm bias resistor on each output tube.

Bob
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:49 am

Bob Latino wrote:
    The original poster mentioned that this amp had a VTA driver board. I can check with Roy but AFAIK the VTA driver board always used a fixed (adjustable) bias system with a 10 ohm bias resistor on each output tube.

Bob
    the VTA driver boaard has no 10ohm resistor, they are mounted on the tube sockets.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:53 am

Peter,

I mentioned in the post that the VTA driver board had a 10 ohm bias resistor "on each output tube".  I never mentioned or inplied that the 10 ohm bias resistor was on the driver board ..

Bob
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:34 am

gee guys, let Triotary figure it out.   resistance from pin 8 on each output tube to ground.   If it's a VTA mod, it's 10 ohms.
    You want 40ma of bias.   Ohm's Law, anybody heard of that?   0.40vdc across each resistor
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:58 am

oooooOOOOOooooooohhhhhhmmmmMMMmmm ...

Sounds like time for a circuit mod. OP's gotta get inside anyway, right?

Easy enough to add bias test points - I found some nice ones at Weber's online store when I went in to get my Copper Cap. Anybody got the exact step by step for that specific model to make it happen? Make for a nice sticky too ...

Weber's website is kinda hard to navigate ... just stumbled across these myself, so here's a link:
    https://taweber.powweb.com/store/plugord.htm

They've got all sorts of neat stuff buried here and there ... bit of a treasure hunt though.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:50 pm

instructions for tip jacks - connect the center hot lead to pin 8 (one for each output tube)
    connect the outer ground lead to chassis ground
    there 'ya go, step-by-step
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:14 pm

I was hoping for something simpler ... got any pictures? tongue
    triotary

Post by triotary Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:54 pm

Thank you all! Really appreciated! Yes the Amp comes with an older version of VTA board without the CCS. It did fired up well and managed to drive a pair of 15" tannoy berkeley very well, with the help of a Marantz 7C. Now I will go ahead and bias the tubes from pin 8 of each EL34 output tubes.

Yes, i was also hoping that I could bias the tubes while probing some points of the VTA board ^_^"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am