The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

ST70 VTA Mod Question about Startup & Tube Glow...

vintess

ST70 VTA Mod Question about Startup & Tube Glow...

Post by vintess on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:27 pm

Hi all,

Happy TGIF! Hope everyone is ready for a relaxing weekend.

I have a question that may have been asked and answered somewhere on this forum, but I can't seem to find it or something close to it. I have a ST70 which I modded with the VTA boards from Roy up in the Evergreen State. The power supply is stock, although I did add the upgraded, recommended multi-section 80/40/30/20 electrolytic capacitor from Kevin at dynakitparts.com. I have also added the triode/pentode switch assembly from Roy, as well. It has a stock choke and power supply. The tubes I am using are all vintage stock Dynaco/Mullard. No other modifications have been made. As I recall, prior to the VTA mod, the amp was doing the same thing on initial startup. So either this is normal or something that I haven't changed/added is the problem--if, there is a problem.

My question is this. On initial startup, ALL tubes glow brightly and then dim back down as they enter their warm up phase. After the brrght glow they settle down to a faint glow. Is this normal? It seems like there is a surge of initial power on startup. What I am concerned about is the obvious: shorter tube life because of this startup surge to the tubes.

Any help from the resident gurus would be greatly appreciated, as I am relatively new to the valve arena.

skriefal

Re: ST70 VTA Mod Question about Startup & Tube Glow...

Post by skriefal on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:15 pm

That is normal for some European tubes. But usually only the small stuff -- 12AX7, 12AU7, 6DJ8, etc.

Are your EL34s doing the same thing?

vintess

Post by vintess on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:17 pm

Thanks for the quick reply skriefal.

I checked the startup on my amp just to be sure and the EL's are NOT doing the bright glow. It is the 3 tubes (12AU7's) on the VTA board that are brightly lit for an instant before dimming back down. If I turn the amp back off (after a "cold start") and then start it up, then there is no "bright startup." I surmise that this is because capacitors are charged at this point?

Again, thanks for the quick reply.

skriefal

Post by skriefal on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:30 pm

It's due to the construction of the tubes and how the filaments were made. And it may not happen every time. Your Dynaco-labeled 12AU7s are probably Mullards made in Great Britain. Head over to Google and search on "Mullard tube flash" for everything you'd ever want to know about this!

vintess

Post by vintess on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:59 pm

Thanks again skriefal! Yep! You are right on. The Dynaco/Mullards I have installed are indeed British made...I will take a look at what is out there regarding the Mullard tube flash...

tubes4hifi
    Admin

Post by tubes4hifi on Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:36 pm

very normal for most tubes made before the mid 70s, it's not a problem at all, yes, it's a turn on surge, what would YOU do if you had 2 amps of current applied to a short circuit?
    It takes a few seconds for the tube filaments to actually have some resistance as they warm up.

Zimmer64

Post by Zimmer64 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:13 am

I have that too and it seems to be normal for some small tubes. Mine run fine since I finished my build.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:53 pm

Current date/time is Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:53 pm