The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

new power transformer

kost

new power transformer Empty new power transformer

Post by kost Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:14 am

Hi dears

I just changed the VTA ST 70 old power transformer
    with the new one from DYNAKIT PARTS with very good results.
    I had also the chance to try the
    PSVANE KT88 and i am amazed
    with the sound!!!
    I am using diodes in place of the rectifier
    and the sound is fast with good bass and
    dynamics but i noticed that to have
    0.50 V for each tube i have to turn the bias pots
    all the way down,is this normal???
    My next project is to try the new vta
    octal pcb BUT i wonder if the new power
    transformer can handle both,the octal preamp tubes
    and the PSVANE KT88.
    Bob,what do you think??

warm regards
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

new power transformer Empty Re: new power transformer

Post by Bob Latino Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:29 am

You can use KT88's in any VTA boarded ST-70 amp as long as you have an upgraded power transformer (as found in all VTA ST-70 amp kits) OR one of the Dynakitparts upgraded ST-70 power transformers.

The recommendation to bias at .50 VDC per tube may cause biasing problems for KT88 output tubes in a VTA ST-70 because the bias system was set up for biasing EL34, 6L6, KT66 and KT77 output tubes with a 10K main bias resistor. When the newer version CCS driver circuit started being used last year Roy and I started using a 7.5K main bias resistor. The 7.5K resistor better allows biasing KT88 output tubes more near the center of the bias pot's rotation. The solution for you is to pull the 10K resistor (R39) off the bottom of the driver board and replace it with a 7.5K (1/2 watt) resistor. R39 is on the back edge of the driver board between the two 100 uF @ 100 volt bias capacitors.

Bob
    kost

Post by kost Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:28 pm

Hi Bob
    thank you for the fast response!!!
    Do you think that now the new transformer can handle both,the new VTA PCB with octal preamp tube and the PSVANE KT88?

warm regards

kost
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:47 pm

Which Psvanes? I recently scored a quad of gently used "HiFi" series KT88's for spares. Their entry level tubes, but from the reviews, that just makes for three layers of excellence ...

Which brings to mind the question ... can I combine KT-120's and KT88's without anything ... like ... exploding? The ST120 has individual bias controls, but that does seem a bit of a stretch. Might be a fun experiment if nobody's ever tried it ... where'd I put my helmet and safety goggles? pirat
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:37 pm

Kost - "Do you think that now the new transformer can handle both,the new VTA PCB with octal preamp tube and the PSVANE KT88?"

Yes - no problem ..

sKiZo - "can I combine KT-120's and KT88's without anything ... like ... exploding?"

The bias system on the VTA ST-120 can handle any KT88, KT120 or 6550 output tube within the range of the bias controls.

Bob
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:53 pm

Thanx Bob ... I know you were experimenting with the KT120's at one time. Ever try that yourself? If the amp will bias up properly and there's no other concerns, I'd think it'd make for a whole new flavor running one of each in each bank ... yet another fun adventure in rolling ...

cyclops  Caution ... mad scientist at work! cyclops 
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:56 am

" I'd think it'd make for a whole new flavor running one of each in each bank "
    Yep, certifiable for sure!  LOL Question  You will get a different type of sound all right!  No harm in trying though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am