The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

VTA board purchased

NuttyLemur

VTA board purchased

Post by NuttyLemur on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:36 am

Just sprang for the VTA board, finally. Super stoked to get it. What kind of time frame before it arrives!

Think I will get the new transformer next.

Probably need to do something about that quad cap before it poo's the bed. Anyone use the multiple cap boards, or just use a replacement quad?

stewdan

Re: VTA board purchased

Post by stewdan on Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:06 am

Hi -- I have used replacement Quad Caps or Multi-cap Boards on both the ST70 and the Mark III amps.  There has been much discussion on the Forum about the merits of both and the writer's viewpoints are usually a function of their personal taste.

Some of the discussion is based on keeping the "Stock Dynaco Look" and if so, use the Quad Cap.    Others prefer the Multi-Cap Board approach, since modern ESR Electrolytic Caps are "small" and can fit underneath the chassis.

I have a pair of Mark IIIs where each amp uses a perf board that holds 10 electrolytic caps (47MF@450v) and 10 resistors and fits underneath the chassis.  Modern caps are very quiet compared to the original quad cap. The amps use Roy's MK3-VTA boards and sound very good.  

I also have a pair of Mark IIIs that use the 80-40-30-20 @550v/600v Quad Cap.  Each quad cap was $60 plus shipping.  

My cost for building the 2 multi-cap boards was less than $50 and could also be used on a ST70 with a wiring change.

Hope that answers your questions.

Have fun.

sKiZo

Post by sKiZo on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:34 pm

... also worth mentioning, the stock quad caps were kinda wimpy, and the new replacements have been beefed up substantially ...

sKiZo

Post by sKiZo on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:37 pm

stewdan wrote:Some of the discussion is based on keeping the "Stock Dynaco Look" and if so, use the Quad Cap.    Others prefer the Multi-Cap Board approach, since modern ESR Electrolytic Caps are "small" and can fit underneath the chassis.
    So, like ... I guess I went for the "Stock Dynaco Look" ... alien 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:01 pm

Current date/time is Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:01 pm