The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
Bob Latino
Analog Man
6 posters

VTA ST - 120 Driver tube choices

Analog Man
    Analog Man

VTA ST - 120 Driver tube choices Empty VTA ST - 120 Driver tube choices

Post by Analog Man Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:02 pm

I've been doing a little tube rolling with the driver tubes and I think I found the perfect combination if you are into full range music.
    In the center, try a N.O.S. JAN 5814A and on the sides try JJ ECC 802S.
    This is the most musical full range combo I have found. Music chosen was Jethro Tull's Thick as a brick.
    What have you all found with your experimentation?
    I would really appreciate any ones input on this. I know this is subjective and personal preferences differ.
    I am playing through my Cerwin Vega VE - 15 speakers. I will soon try my Polk Audio Rti - 12's.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

VTA ST - 120 Driver tube choices Empty Re: VTA ST - 120 Driver tube choices

Post by Bob Latino Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:33 pm

Check out this forum post by Andy from New Jersey on his experiments with tube rolling in a VTA ST-120 ..

Rolling driver tubes in the VTA ST-120

Bob
    Analog Man
    Analog Man

Post by Analog Man Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:42 pm

Bob Latino wrote:Check out this forum post by Andy from New Jersey on his experiments with tube rolling in a VTA ST-120 ..

Rolling driver tubes in the VTA ST-120

Bob
    Thanks again for your wealth of knowledge. I did not see the combo I have tried. Maybe some of you out there will try? I am still listening to Jethro Tull's Thick as a brick and I am in sonic ecstasy!
    Almost as good as sex. A little wine helps as well.
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:02 am

The ST-120 have proven to be a very revealing amp and like said it responds tube exchanges.  In the end it comes down to personal preference.  I like some top end air and sparkle but can be too much with the right mix of tubes.  Others like a more classic tube sound with tubby bass and rolled off highs.  So some recommendations may not work out for your setup so trust your ears.

Put some hours on the amp before you do some serious tube rolling.  Also let those new tubes run for a while as the sound can change in the first 50 - 100 hours.   The center tube has the most dramatic affect but I find the phase inverters and output tubes make a sonic difference as well.  So the perfect center tube has to be complimented by the phase inverters and power tubes.  Tube rolling has though been a fun but expensive hobby!  drunken
    Analog Man
    Analog Man

Post by Analog Man Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:22 am

arledgsc wrote:The ST-120 have proven to be a very revealing amp and like said it responds tube exchanges.  In the end it comes down to personal preference.  I like some top end air and sparkle but can be too much with the right mix of tubes.  Others like a more classic tube sound with tubby bass and rolled off highs.  So some recommendations may not work out for your setup so trust your ears.

Put some hours on the amp before you do some serious tube rolling.  Also let those new tubes run for a while as the sound can change in the first 50 - 100 hours.   The center tube has the most dramatic affect but I find the phase inverters and output tubes make a sonic difference as well.  So the perfect center tube has to be complimented by the phase inverters and power tubes.  Tube rolling has though been a fun but expensive hobby!  drunken
    $$$ Yes I know! Check these baby's out.
    http://www.tubedepot.com/eat-kt88-quad.html
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:11 pm

$450.00 a tube when not on sale Ouch!
    Those better be some nice tubes........
    kevinmi
    kevinmi

Post by kevinmi Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:42 pm

I'm running some vintage RCA clear tops with good results
    guentherj2
    guentherj2

Post by guentherj2 Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:14 pm

I currently have two NOS Tung Sol 12BH7As and a NOS Sylvania 12AU7A in the center in my ST120. I'm very pleased with this sound. My speakers are B&W CM10s.

Switching gears - I'm curious how much difference the tubes in the preamp (the VTA SP-12 in my case) vs. the amp makes??? Also - how important it is, or not, to match pairs in the preamp???

Regards,

John

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:20 am