The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

VTA preamp questions

daveshel
    daveshel

VTA preamp questions Empty VTA preamp questions

Post by daveshel Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:16 pm

I'm wondering how the VTA-Z fits in with the SP lineup of preamps.

The real question is which of these would be an improvement over a Van Alstine Super PAS Three (and why).

Thanks!
    DynakitParts
    DynakitParts

VTA preamp questions Empty Your Question

Post by DynakitParts Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi,
    I'm thinking the lack of replies to your post may be that fact that to make a fair comparison to
    Van Alstines Super PAS to the VTA-Z ....One would have to own or have listened to both these units.

Kevin
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

VTA preamp questions Empty Re: VTA preamp questions

Post by Roy Mottram Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:36 pm

Hi Dave,
    sorry for the delayed response, I was on vacation all last week and didn't see this post.
    The VTA-Z is the bottom of the line, and it's basically all of our PAS3 upgrades in a new modern chassis.
    From what I've read (since I haven't actually had one in my hands to look at or listen to) I would say this is at least as good as the VanAlstine Super PAS3.
    The Super PAS3 appears to be very similar to our Zmod upgrades for the PAS3, which are the same ones used in our VTA-Z preamp and slightly refined
    and with a better power transformer in our SP10 preamp, both of these around $550-600 depending on whether you include the phono stage.
    The Super PAS3 is $899 or as a parts kit to install in your old PAS3 for $449 (a used PAS3 in decent condition is $300+).
    Our Zmod upgrades total about $278 so somebody is either way overpriced or way underpriced! I like to provide top value for the lowest price.
    Another alternative is our "TCLA" circuit upgrade for the PAS3, which includes high quality tone controls that work correctly without diminishing the sound quality.
    That's $50 more than the Zmod combo.
    A better comparison is our "ultimate PAS3 mod" package, which totals $400, this includes an AIKIDO line stage, our hi-end PH10 phono amp,
    and a regulated power supply with two new power transformers to replace the original one. I can guarantee you that this blows away just about
    any preamp you can find under $2000. It is essentially our SP12 preamp but on circuit boards designed to fit inside a PAS3.
    It's actually a better value to buy a new SP12 kit ($690) and sell your old PAS3 for $300 or more than to spend $400 upgrading it.
    Roy
    www.tubes4hifi.com
    daveshel
    daveshel

Post by daveshel Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks, Roy. I think the Super PAS 3 uses an AIKIDO as well. I'm happy with mine but slightly concerned that my tube rig doesn't sound quite as good as my solid state rig and I'm thinking of trying another tube preamp. The prices of a used chassis are terribly high so your kits are particularly attractive to me. I was a little confused by seeing all the SP preamps on one page then finding the VTA-Z with the PAS parts. I may have to break out the soldering iron soon.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:01 pm

First I've seen the VTA-Z too ... looks like a nice unit.

Didn't see any interior shots on the website ... also, dimensions?
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:04 pm

same size as all my preamps, 16" wide, 12" deep, 4" high
    I don't have any interior photos of it, I've only sold a few this year, everyone seems to buy the SP14, SP12, and SP9 instead.
    Maybe someone can take a few photos once he gets his together and post them here.

Last edited by tubes4hifi on Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:09 pm

Reason I ask is I'd be tempted to make a baby brother of my ST-120 custom case ... be interesting to see how much smaller I could make it ... thinking more like 9x8x3 ...
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:34 pm

actually it looks like I did take an interior photo while getting it ready to ship, see below
    this is in a smaller chassis 12" x 12" x 4" height

VTA preamp questions VTA-Zpre
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:33 pm

Thanx for that ... looks like I could condense the layout quite a bit, even with the phono stage.
    Limiting factor for height would be the transformer, what with the tubes sticking out the top.

Hmmmmmm ... even give me one more opportunity to use my audiophile grade handy dandy panel bender ...

VTA preamp questions Panel-bender01
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:20 pm

looks like you could go as small as 8x8x2 without phono
    Analog Man
    Analog Man

Post by Analog Man Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:10 am

sKiZo wrote:Thanx for that ... looks like I could condense the layout quite a bit, even with the phono stage.
    Limiting factor for height would be the transformer, what with the tubes sticking out the top.

Hmmmmmm ... even give me one more opportunity to use my audiophile grade handy dandy panel bender ...

VTA preamp questions Panel-bender01
    Nice! Is that audio grade lumber?
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:29 am

With cryo-treated hinges too! clown 

What can I say ... it did what it had to do ...

VTA preamp questions Panel-bender03

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:03 pm