The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Hello from Louisiana

olds442111

Hello from Louisiana

Post by olds442111 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:16 am

Hello group. I'm Rick, from south Louisiana. Have been into audio most of my life, and tubed gear for the past few years. Been a long time subscriber on another audio forum, but stumbled upon this one since I recently purchased a 1962 Stereo 70. Currently installing an updated driver board into an amp that someone else has already been into where the can cap was bypassed and caps were placed under the chassis. Lot of wiring mess and cleaning all that up. Just thought I'd say hello, and happy to be here!

peterh

Re: Hello from Louisiana

Post by peterh on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:42 am

olds442111 wrote:Hello group. I'm Rick, from south Louisiana. Have been into audio most of my life, and tubed gear for the past few years. Been a long time subscriber on another audio forum, but stumbled upon this one since I recently purchased a 1962 Stereo 70. Currently installing an updated driver board into an amp that someone else has already been into where the can cap was bypassed and caps were placed under the chassis. Lot of wiring mess and cleaning all that up. Just thought I'd say hello, and happy to be here!

Welcome!

Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino on Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:34 am

olds442111 wrote:Hello group. I'm Rick, from south Louisiana. Have been into audio most of my life, and tubed gear for the past few years. Been a long time subscriber on another audio forum, but stumbled upon this one since I recently purchased a 1962 Stereo 70. Currently installing an updated driver board into an amp that someone else has already been into where the can cap was bypassed and caps were placed under the chassis. Lot of wiring mess and cleaning all that up. Just thought I'd say hello, and happy to be here!

Hi Rick,

I love seeing old original Dynaco tube amps being rescued and rebuilt. Post some photos of your amp and the work you are doing on the forum here. There is a STICKY post above which tells how to post a photo on the forum ..

Bob

olds442111

Post by olds442111 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:10 pm

Installing the new driver board in an amp that has been gone into by a previous owner. Given that, and added to the instructions that came with the new driver board, I have a few questions. The resistor that I have circled, is that to be omitted at this point? Ive looked at a few undersides on amps online and cant find it, nor do I see it mentioned in the instructions.

Question #2: The wire that was hooked to position #20 on the original driver board: Is that no longer used either?

Well that failed, due to some 7 day rule thingy about posting external links. The resistor in question is 6800 ohms, and apparently was at one time mounted to the can cap. Thanks in advance

olds442111

Post by olds442111 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:33 am

I'm thinking this amp having had these caps put under the chassis is whats screwing me up. Though I don't find the instructions to be super detailed, I'm fairly convinced that all of the other connections are proper. Still don't see the 6800 ohm resistor in any other photos I've seen. At this point, I'm on the verge of ordering the replacement can cap, but am hesitant until I determine exactly which point I should pull B+ from, and what the deal is with the 6800 ohm resistor. Final snag I'm running into is with the board up on the little spacer nuts, its all but impossible to get the top nut onto the screw for the stereo/mono switch. A few hours into that alone, and still not mounted. But hey, it's a unique paper weight for now Smile

olds442111

Post by olds442111 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:00 am

Looks like I've found all the problems. Shame on me for overlooking one sentence. The rest of the help came from photos and old schematics of what this thing was originally. Progress once again.

olds442111

Post by olds442111 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:00 am

And this thing comes alive. After the biasing and rebiasing process, it was put into a system for a test drive. The driver board changed this amplifier immensely. Went ahead and used a E80CC tungsram in the center and a couple of RCA clear tops on the sides. Will run it this way for a while before doing any tube rolling. I'm afraid I'll be venturing into the tube rolling favorite thread before very long. I've got tons of tubes and this amp just allowed me to reopen many storage boxes full of vintage tubes to play with again Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:39 pm

Current date/time is Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:39 pm