The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+5
Maintarget
Roy Mottram
kygeezer
DynakitParts
TN Allen
9 posters

Aluminum Extrusions for Dynaco Face Plates

TN Allen

Aluminum Extrusions for Dynaco Face Plates Empty Aluminum Extrusions for Dynaco Face Plates

Post by TN Allen Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:45 am

Would anyone know of a source for the Aluminum extrusions used for Dynaco preamplifier face plates. I eliminated several switches in a PAS 3X I upgraded using Mr. Mottram's kits, and would like to make a new face plate to eliminate the unused holes.
    DynakitParts
    DynakitParts

Aluminum Extrusions for Dynaco Face Plates Empty PAS Faceplates

Post by DynakitParts Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:11 pm

Hi TN,
            I could not find a source for this aluminum extrusion as originally used with the Dynaco PAS faceplates and I searched everywhere...

This would require special tooling and significant $$ investment in a large order of custom formed aluminum stock. Some quotes including tooling & material were in excess of $5000.

We have (in stock) replacement aluminum faceplates for both the PAS & SCA-35..less the formed edge.

Kevin @ Dynakit
    kygeezer

Aluminum Extrusions for Dynaco Face Plates Empty Re: Aluminum Extrusions for Dynaco Face Plates

Post by kygeezer Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:33 pm

Various plates are found often on the fleaBay, but try this first:   http://www.fm3zone.com/index.htmloften   for some that have eliminated many of the original controls.
    Good luck!
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Aluminum Extrusions for Dynaco Face Plates Empty Re: Aluminum Extrusions for Dynaco Face Plates

Post by Roy Mottram Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:32 pm

FM3zone is just selling the same ones that Kevin at DynaKitParts has . . .
    kygeezer

Post by kygeezer Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:53 pm

Good to know that. My apologies, Kevin!
    TN Allen

Post by TN Allen Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:43 pm

Thank you for the replies. I'm a little surprised, but not all of that much, that that stock is no longer available. It seems it would be a generic shape, probably was 40-50 years ago. I knew about the replacement plates that are available but thought I'd like to use the same stock and eliminate a few extra holes.
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:26 pm

There is another option depending on the condition of the face plate you could weld the holes up but this would require resurfacing the face plate and more than likely the loss of any factory labeling.
    Cost and effort would depend what you could do and your resources/connections and could range from cheap to very expensive. 
    Good luck.
    daveshel
    daveshel

Post by daveshel Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:36 pm

Actually the one at fm3zone has a slightly different configuration than the ones at dynakitparts. But still not what I'd like - I can do without the loudness and filter switches but I'd like to keep the monitor switch, along with selector, volume and balance, just no tone controls.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:43 pm

Then there's the infamous Plan B ... make your own!

I'm a big fan of Front Panel Express. You can download their free design software and play with it some. Click the buy button in the software, and you get a CNC version in the metal of your choice about a week later. Bit pricey, but they do excellent work and are always improving the product.

They also do bevels and insets and such, oh my ... you can also get inset print, but they do shy away from copyrighted logos. Can't blame them for that.

Last I checked, they don't bend the metal, so you're on your own there. For something like a custom faceplate though, I'd think they're your best bet.

TN Allen

Post by TN Allen Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:35 pm

Thanks for the additional suggestions. They all are reasonable possibilities I can consider and could do. But, perhaps practicality is a better choice, I can live with the extra holes(they're not so bad), enjoy the music and look ahead to another project.

Just out of curiosity, what have other people made on their own to replace the Dynaco plates?
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:21 pm

How about just leaving the old controls and knobs in place?

We won't tell anybody if you don't ...

daveshel
    daveshel

Post by daveshel Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:20 pm

sKiZo wrote:How about just leaving the old controls and knobs in place?

That was what I had been planning to do. But thanks for the tip on Front Panel Express - I may consider that option when I'm finished with the rebuild.
    TN Allen

Post by TN Allen Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:11 am

I left the stereo/mono switch in place, but left out the lower switches, it really isn't a problem one way or the other, a new panel seems like an interesting project as I have access to a CNC machine and have some 1/32" Ø endmills I can use to label the controls.
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:39 pm

TN Allen wrote:Just out of curiosity, what have other people made on their own to replace the Dynaco plates?

Here's a link below

Best Regards,
    Charlie

https://s1096.photobucket.com/user/luddite3/media/PAS7.jpg.html
    ramon68

Post by ramon68 Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:36 pm

That looks a hell of a lot nicer than any bevelled metal Dyna face plate. Just sayin'.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:41 pm

Wood is another thought ... and then there's veneer?

You should be able to pick some up locally, or get a small refinishing kit. Razor cut a piece to fit the original front plate and leave the bevel, then just tap out for the controls you'll be keeping. Contact cement or carpet tape to hold it tight.

You can also get hobby size sheets of pebble finish ABS (Parts Express has them), and do an inset panel. Same thing, only different. You can shave and shape the edges with a mini plane.
    TN Allen

Post by TN Allen Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:43 am

Interesting ideas to consider, thanks. And, the wood panel face plates are very attractive. I suppose part of the attraction of the Aluminum plate is that it is part of the classic Dynaco look, though I have to say even when I bought the PAS3X kit new in 1968, I didn't like the face plate. I'll probably leave it as is, with the holes empty. The improved sound with the new boards is what is really important to me anyway.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:02 pm

Another option is to get a bunch of jewel light lenses and put those in the holes ...

Aluminum Extrusions for Dynaco Face Plates Amp%20jewels

Pretty much standard at most any guitar shop.

I've gotten some pretty interesting results with metal duct tape over the years. Replacing knob inserts, etc.

Never tried anything as big as a faceplate, but it should be doable. You'd have to fill the holes first with JB weld, then sand it smooth, as the tape will show any irregularity in the surface below. Once it's on, you can either go for a brush finish, like stainless steel, or swirl it.

I did all but a couple of the knobs on this lil rig like that, and I'm hard pressed to tell which is which.

Aluminum Extrusions for Dynaco Face Plates Siltronix-done

Real nasty looking piece of junk when I got it ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 pm