The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

quad cap quandry

quad cap quandry Empty quad cap quandry

Post by Guest Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:11 am

I find myself agonizing over capacitor values in the power supply of the ST-35. I have posted this same query on another site and got one response from a member who is also on this forum. It was advised to keep the 1st section lower than the 2nd. Dave's Lab (who inherited Audio Regenesis) uses values of 47-120-120uF, which is in keeping with a lower 1st stage. Diytube, in their version of this amp, uses 120-120-120uF. Dynaco uses 60-40-20uF in the original. (I'm leaving out the final stage since I'm using the Enhanced Fixed Bias and using a separate cap for this).

I don't see any need of going over 120uF in any stage, but I wonder what would be optimal values. Currently I'm using an 80-40-30-20 quad cap where I've strapped the 30 and 40 together for the 1st stage, to give me a 70-80-20uF set-up. The driver stage (20uF) might be a little wimpy, so I might reconfigure it to 40-100-30, or 40-80-50, or 50-80-40. As you see, there are several combinations available. How would you configure the 80-40-30-20uF cap that I have? And what would you use if you were doing a scratch build?

Thanks, CC
    peterh
    peterh

quad cap quandry Empty Re: quad cap quandry

Post by peterh Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:33 am

Captain Coconut wrote:I find myself agonizing over capacitor values in the power supply of the ST-35. I have posted this same query on another site and got one response from a member who is also on this forum. It was advised to keep the 1st section lower than the 2nd. Dave's Lab (who inherited Audio Regenesis) uses values of 47-120-120uF, which is in keeping with a lower 1st stage. Diytube, in their version of this amp, uses 120-120-120uF. Dynaco uses 60-40-20uF in the original. (I'm leaving out the final stage since I'm using the Enhanced Fixed Bias and using a separate cap for this).

I don't see any need of going over 120uF in any stage, but I wonder what would be optimal values. Currently I'm using an 80-40-30-20 quad cap where I've strapped the 30 and 40 together for the 1st stage, to give me a 70-80-20uF set-up. The driver stage (20uF) might be a little wimpy, so I might reconfigure it to 40-100-30, or 40-80-50, or 50-80-40. As you see, there are several combinations available. How would you configure the 80-40-30-20uF cap that I have? And what would you use if you were doing a scratch build?

Thanks, CC

It's a question of how much ripple you tolerate. How much is it today ? How much hum
    is in the output terminals ? And, how much of that hum is 120hz and how much is 60hz ?
    ( 120hz might be reduced by larger caps / adding a choke, 60hz is more likely picked up in the signal path).

Optimal finally, from what view ? Cost efficient ? Power consumption ? sound quality ?
    DarthBubba

Post by DarthBubba Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:29 pm

Captain Coconut wrote:I find myself agonizing over capacitor values in the power supply of the ST-35. I have posted this same query on another site and got one response from a member who is also on this forum. It was advised to keep the 1st section lower than the 2nd.

I'm not sure, but I believe that "rule" (no more than 40uF between the diode tube and the choke) was a function of not over-drawing the vacuum tube rectifiers used in amps prior to the ST-35/SCA-35.  The solid state diodes in the ST/SCA-35 probably would not be damaged by the momentary surge.  I use inrush limiters on mine, but I'm a "Belt-and-suspenders" kinda guy.

Captain Coconut wrote:Dave's Lab (who inherited Audio Regenesis) uses values of 47-120-120uF, which is in keeping with a lower 1st stage. Diytube, in their version of this amp, uses 120-120-120uF. Dynaco uses 60-40-20uF in the original. (I'm leaving out the final stage since I'm using the Enhanced Fixed Bias and using a separate cap for this).

I dunno; a high ripple current cap in the first cap location was my major concern.  Low-Z/low-ESR caps were used after the choke (yes, I use a choke).

Captain Coconut wrote:I don't see any need of going over 120uF in any stage, but I wonder what would be optimal values. Currently I'm using an 80-40-30-20 quad cap where I've strapped the 30 and 40 together for the 1st stage, to give me a 70-80-20uF set-up. The driver stage (20uF) might be a little wimpy, so I might reconfigure it to 40-100-30, or 40-80-50, or 50-80-40. As you see, there are several combinations available. How would you configure the 80-40-30-20uF cap that I have? And what would you use if you were doing a scratch build?

I'd go 40-80+30-20 or 40-80+20-30 to give the output tubes the biggest, quietest reservoir to draw from.  If I were scratch building a system I'd start with a chassis with more room underneath to stash chokes, big coupling caps, big power supply caps, and so forth out of sight.  Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 am