The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+36
pjp3
tkemmett
dougmon
TMadden
sKiZo
daveshel
wedg714
denny9167
hawaii.ken
quadaptor
hagmo
Tom
kaner
harpy
danskman
deepee99
Tube Nube
mantha3
j beede
frank
VikeMan
thevic24
Dingojazz
baddog1946
Greg_M
Luddite
j4570
SUNNFRK
Jhoman
Mark Korda
GP49
Reid
kevinmi
scott6058
LEVLHED
Bob Latino
40 posters

What are your favorite "test" CD's or LP's ?

Tom

What are your favorite "test" CD's or LP's ? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are your favorite "test" CD's or LP's ?

Post by Tom Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:39 pm

Making my Chrismas List from this thread. Keep posting!

Very Happy

Oh, and Bonnie Raitt's new one on vinyl is really nice.
    hagmo
    hagmo

What are your favorite "test" CD's or LP's ? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are your favorite "test" CD's or LP's ?

Post by hagmo Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:06 pm

hello i'm new to the forum and wan't to say this is very cool.
    my list would include:

hotel california live from when hell freezes over.
    kiss by prince
    son of aleric by deep purple
    big log by robert plant
    time by pink floyd
    [b]
    quadaptor
    quadaptor

Post by quadaptor Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:36 pm

I keep going back to Miles Davis' cover of Bye Bye Blackbird.
    hawaii.ken
    hawaii.ken

Post by hawaii.ken Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:58 pm

Some of my favs

Female Vocal
    Carpenters - Horizon
    CD (FLAC-RIP)

Male Vocal
    Kenny Rankin - The Kenny Rankin Album
    Vinyl

Instrumental
    Earl Klugh - Finger Paintings
    Vinyl

Instrumental
    Tim Weisberg - The Tip Of The Weisberg
    Vinyl

Instrumental
    John Klemmer - Touch
    Vinyl
    denny9167
    denny9167

Post by denny9167 Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:34 pm

Currently don't have a turntable,have several LP's. Do have a pretty good collection of CD's and iTunes,several on Chesky label,Sheffield Lab,Reference,Telarc,and Doran. My favorites are my Sheffield,Dave Grusin,Harry James,and Pat Coil,of course my favorite being the Drum and Track Record,very good for testing,and setup.

Btw. The Stereophile test CD's are good for testing. I have 1 and 3.
    baddog1946
    baddog1946

Post by baddog1946 Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:48 am

Sheffield labs Tower of Power "Direct to disk" is a recording that contains a lot of instruments and gives any system a workout. I have a lot of their stuff and this is one of the best from Sheffield Labs too bad they are not around anymore.
    denny9167
    denny9167

Post by denny9167 Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:32 pm

baddog1946 wrote:Sheffield labs Tower of Power "Direct to disk" is a recording that contains a lot of instruments and gives any system a workout. I have a lot of their stuff and this is one of the best from Sheffield Labs too bad they are not around anymore.

Just downloaded this one from iTunes, just what I expected from Sheffield,simply marvelous!! I remember years ago hearing my first Sheffield recording on LP, on Strathern Ribbons,I was blown away by the clarity, and dynamic range of the music. I became an Audiophile that day!!
    deepee99
    deepee99

What are your favorite "test" CD's or LP's ? - Page 2 Empty Brubeck

Post by deepee99 Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:13 pm

Take 5 album on vinyl. If you here the "ding" instead of a tink on Blue Rondo (about 16 bars in) you're live.
    baddog1946
    baddog1946

Post by baddog1946 Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:20 pm

I downloaded 11 free reference test tracks from the "6 Moons" Newsroom page from "Bakoon" Products for free! that are of superb quality. Mostly 24/96 piano stuff but they are excellent for fidelity tests of your amp or speakers.[u]
    kevinmi
    kevinmi

Post by kevinmi Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:43 pm

Here is a couple of vinyl selections I've been using to help with setting up my turntables: Heart-Dreamboat Annie, and King Crimson- In the Court. Both remastered on 180 gram vinyl. These feature both loud and very soft passages good for evaluating how well your stylus is tracking in the groove. Of course they both sound good to just listen to, also.
    thevic24

Post by thevic24 Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:34 am

For me, there are a few...

Just about anything Alan Parsons....with the album "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" being my fav.
    Then I like Deodato's 2001 on LP only!!
    Dire Straights Sultons of Swing on LP is a good one to...
    wedg714
    wedg714

Post by wedg714 Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:35 pm

gary wrights dream weaver - just the song, not the whole album
    james gang rides again
    jethro tull stand up
    allman brothers live at the fillmore east
    peter gabriel passion cd
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:13 pm

@kevin,

What is that amazing looking record player in your avatar?
    deepee99
    deepee99

What are your favorite "test" CD's or LP's ? - Page 2 Empty That looks like a VPI

Post by deepee99 Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Just got turned on to Art Pepper. Live, not aware he did any studio stuff, but gobs of his live performances are around. Jazz sax. The better mixes will give your hi-fi a workout and put you right in the jazz lounge in Munich or London.
    kevinmi
    kevinmi

Post by kevinmi Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:17 pm

Tube Nube wrote:@kevin,

What is that amazing looking record player in your avatar?
    That is my Oracle Premiere. I also have an Oracle Delphi MKII as a backup. Made in Canada.
    daveshel
    daveshel

Post by daveshel Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:49 pm

The only thing I can add to the great choices mentioned are a couple of Al Stewart recordings: Time Passages on mofi vinyl and on CD and Last Days of the Century on CD.
    deepee99
    deepee99

What are your favorite "test" CD's or LP's ? - Page 2 Empty Supertramp

Post by deepee99 Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:14 pm

Just got the Speakers Corner pressing of Supertramp's Crime of the Century. The piano bridge on School just jumps out at you and leave the subwoofer grinning as well. Actually am re-discovering much of my vinyl new and old with Roy Mottram's PH-16 with amazing results.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:50 pm

Playlist that got a good workout during the recent build ...

- Robert Cray - Strong Persuader
    - Blood, Sweat and Tears - Blues Variation
    - Dire Straights - Walk of Life
    - Dixie Dreggs - Twigg's Approved
    - Norah Jones - Cold Cold Heart
    - Porcupine Tree - Russia on Ice, Hate Song
    - Dvorak #9 in E Minor (Kertesz)
    - Sia - Girl You Lost To Cocaine
    - James Cotton - Ying Yang
    - Genesis - Supper's Ready
    - Gerswin - American In Paris (Dorati - Mercury)
    - Mumford & Sons - Ghosts That We Knew
    - Civil Wars - My Father's Father

Pretty much covers the bases for anything I'm liable to throw at it.
    TMadden
    TMadden

Post by TMadden Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:56 pm

Nora Jones, Come Away With Me, Blue Note Records, is far and away the best sounding LP I have. Crazy dynamic range, dead quiet pressing. Just stunning.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:08 pm

Amen to most of those (the ones I've heard, anyway). Mark Knopfler's Sailing to Philadelphia on CD is good, but my CD player is buried under LP jackets somewhere and I can't find it. Bright Eyes, either vinyl or CD, also Von Karajan conducting the Berlin Philharmonic on Pictures at an Exhibition (DG vinyl) are pretty outrageous. And let us not forget the old Telarc CD of 1812 Overture, though there's a newer 1812 on DG featuring Neeme Jarvi conducting the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra that also uses live cannons, a vocal background chorus, and follows with a superb rendition of Marche Slave.
    Gonna have to try that Nora Jones you guys keep talking about.
    As they say, "My neighbours listen to great music -- whether they want to or not."
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:37 pm

Ya, eh ... Nora Jones is the ultimate test for my room ... without proper eq and setup, that one will really push the sonics. If I can get her voice and piano just right, as in my ears aren't bleeding at the end of the record, my work is done. Ain't nuttin' I can throw on that will stress the system more.

Not to mention it's just some right pleasant tunage ...
    dougmon
    dougmon

Post by dougmon Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:15 am

Abbey Road.
    Bunch of old blues and rockabilly stuff.
    Some vintage Hawaiian stuff.
    Some Blue Note CDs (Kenny Dorham is a big favorite.)
    Some Django.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of 16th century (and earlier) vocal and instrumental stuff, so if I ever go out to audition equipment again, that'll be there. (I have to admit, I haven't really been in the market for new stereo stuff for the past six years or so....)
    tkemmett

Post by tkemmett Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:53 am

Annie Lennox's Medusa ....most all tracks
    Sara Jarosz' Simple Twist Of Fate
    David Lindley, Mercury Blues
    Dave Brubeck, Take Five
    Tony Rice, Shadows
    pjp3
    pjp3

Post by pjp3 Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:23 am

I have to agree with Nora Jones.
    I also like the dynamics on The "Honeydrippers" Volume One.
    The only volume released.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:41 pm

One new addition ...

Gold Bug - Turn of a Friendly Card - Alan Parsons

That has a really wide stage with identical material left and right. Also has a STRONG center stage with huge gaping holes between the three. Perfect for dialing in the balance.

Fired that up yesterday and it pointed out what sounded like a slight shift to the right. Tweaked the volume, but that dragged the midrange over too far. Volume back down, and adjusted the parametric eq a touch in the upper mids.

cheers 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 pm