The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
Brap
sKiZo
Cubdriver
7 posters

Just started an ST-70 kit

sKiZo
    sKiZo

Just started an ST-70 kit - Page 2 Empty Re: Just started an ST-70 kit

Post by sKiZo Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:05 pm

Just to clarify ... the only size limit really is the oven, and the gun should be able to coat anything properly?

What gun ya got, and did you fix your grounding issues to your satisfaction, and how?

I can see where something like that could be handy for all sorts of projects. I imagine you could get creative and do different finishes, add texture, or even go multicolor highlights with practice.
    Cubdriver
    Cubdriver

Just started an ST-70 kit - Page 2 Empty Re: Just started an ST-70 kit

Post by Cubdriver Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:04 pm

Skizo, for me currently the size limit is the oven.  It's possible to coat things without an oven using banks of IR lamps to heat and cure the powder/substrate (Eastwood sells them, no doubt others do as well), but they're $$ and strike me as a lot of work as you'd have to move the light around and monitor the temp of the part.  Great if you're doing a car or motorcycle frame or the like, but for now I plan to stick with things that'll fit in an oven...

Whatever you're coating needs to be conductive, and able to withstand being baked at 350-400° F for the 20 minutes or so it takes to cure the powder.  I'd say it's pretty much limited to metal parts only (meaning that I don't think a can electrolytic, for instance, would be a good candidate).

I have the Eastwood dual voltage gun; got it in their 'starter kit', p/n 11698.  I also bought their Hightech Color Sampler Kit of powders - it has the chrome smoke and translucent blue colors I used as the base & top coats on the transformers, along with translucent red, green & violet, and candy orange.  I haven't yet tried any of the other colors, but will likely do so on my next project.

You also need a source of compressed air; the gun uses low pressure (~10PSI or so), so even a small pancake compressor of the sort used for nail guns should be sufficient.  I'm using the Makita MAC700 I got a few years back for my nailers.

Using the screw & keps nut on the bells worked out ok for grounding (which as I think I mentioned only became an issue with the second coat - the first went on with no problem at all), though I'll likely give that more thought for the next time I do something with multiple coats.  The screw & nut are great as long as there's a screw hole that will be covered by hardware in use, but it may take more thought for something that will be more exposed.

I see it being used in a lot of future projects, and yes, you can do various finishes and color fades.  The powder is available in a mind numbing array of colors (search powder coating powder on Evil Bay), and comes in gloss, matte, satin and textured finishes.  I was thinking of trying some sort of color transition next time - perhaps a chassis that goes transparent blue through violet to red or something along those lines...

-Pat

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:34 am