The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

PAS-2 Volume Pot and Cap Replacement - Safety Question

fedoragent

PAS-2 Volume Pot and Cap Replacement - Safety Question

Post by fedoragent on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:55 pm

Bob, Ray or Forum Members,

I need to replace the .1uF caps that are right under the volume pot. All that I have are ETR Orange Drops rated to 630V. From a safety standpoint, voltage rating wise...is this a safe cap to use? Do the voltages get any higher at those points?

Thanks,

Jon

PeterCapo

Re: PAS-2 Volume Pot and Cap Replacement - Safety Question

Post by PeterCapo on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:14 pm

That capacitor is connected to the loudness tap of the volume control.  The wiper is connected to the 12AX7 grid (probably pin 2), which sits at zero volts DC.  The only voltage that capacitor should see with the loudness switch engaged would be the audio signal from the input, which is something in the range of a volt or two AC.  Seems to me that you’d have a hard time finding a capacitor with an insufficient voltage rating.

fedoragent

Post by fedoragent on Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:49 am

PeterCapo wrote:That capacitor is connected to the loudness tap of the volume control.  The wiper is connected to the 12AX7 grid (probably pin 2), which sits at zero volts DC.  The only voltage that capacitor should see with the loudness switch engaged would be the audio signal from the input, which is something in the range of a volt or two AC.  Seems to me that you’d have a hard time finding a capacitor with an insufficient voltage rating.

Peter,

Thanks so much! I really appreciate this. I'm going to replace those caps with those Orange Drops tomorrow. Now I have a question about the volume pots, but am going to do a search and post if I don't find an answer.

Cheers!

Jon

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:59 am

Current date/time is Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:59 am