The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Replacing PAS volume pot, but strange curiosity about wiring it up....

fedoragent

Replacing PAS volume pot, but strange curiosity about wiring it up....

Post by fedoragent on Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:56 am

Folks,

I had one more question about the PAS volume pot.  Tonight, I was about to replace the .1uF caps that go to the Loudness switch.  I thought, while I was in there that I would replace the volume pot that was there.  The volume pot that I got quite some time ago from Roy doesn't match the one that I have in my PAS2.  I've depicted what I mean in the photo.  If the caps are going to the top of the pot, but on the replacement THERE IS NO TOP...what does one do?  Am I hosed and need to order a few pot. (Essentially, I'd be outta luck with what I have...ugh.)

Any suggestions you folks have would be wonderful.

Thanks,

Jon

DarthBubba

Re: Replacing PAS volume pot, but strange curiosity about wiring it up....

Post by DarthBubba on Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:24 pm

fedoragent wrote:Folks,

I had one more question about the PAS volume pot.  Tonight, I was about to replace the .1uF caps that go to the Loudness switch.  I thought, while I was in there that I would replace the volume pot that was there.  The volume pot that I got quite some time ago from Roy doesn't match the one that I have in my PAS2.  I've depicted what I mean in the photo.  If the caps are going to the top of the pot, but on the replacement THERE IS NO TOP...what does one do?  Am I hosed and need to order a few pot. (Essentially, I'd be outta luck with what I have...ugh.)

That extra connection is the "Loudness Tap," it's where those caps you're replacing connect.  You would need to order a volume control with a loudness tap (such things still do exist) or simply go without the loudness function - which would save you a bit of soldering.

Ain't the tyranny of choice a bitch?   Very Happy

fedoragent

Post by fedoragent on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:44 pm

DarthBubba wrote:
    fedoragent wrote:Folks,

That extra connection is the "Loudness Tap," it's where those caps you're replacing connect.  You would need to order a volume control with a loudness tap (such things still do exist) or simply go without the loudness function - which would save you a bit of soldering.

Ain't the tyranny of choice a bitch?   Very Happy

Would the ALPS VC be a good choice or and give me the ability to have the Loudness tap? Or would the Radio Shack 100k Dual Ganged Volume Pot work? I believe it has a Loudness Tap.

Thanks again,

Jon

DarthBubba

Post by DarthBubba on Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:14 pm

fedoragent wrote:Would the ALPS VC be a good choice or and give me the ability to have the Loudness tap?  Or would the Radio Shack 100k Dual Ganged Volume Pot work?  I believe it has a Loudness Tap.

I would trust a good Alps unit before something from RatShack. The schematic calls for a 250k unit. The fourth leg on pot should be the loudness tap (the Alps pots that are shaped like blue cubes have numbers on the label on the back.) If in doubt, look up the description and pin-out in the online catalog of the bigger distributors. Talk to their tech support folks to make sure you're clear on what gets hooked up where.

tubes4hifi
    Admin

Post by tubes4hifi on Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:43 pm

it's very difficult to find any modern volume controls with loudness taps. RadioShack does sell a cheap ALPS 100K loudness control that works fine.

fedoragent

Post by fedoragent on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:05 pm

I just do not understand why they are so rare. Does anyone have the link of one that they used that had the loudness tap? I do not mind paying a bit extra. As it is my PAS is down right now.

GP49

Post by GP49 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:10 pm

Last time I bought some, the Radio Shack 100K Stereo Volume Pot was an ALPS.

fedoragent

Post by fedoragent on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:28 pm

Okay. Got one. Hope it works.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:58 am

Current date/time is Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:58 am