The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

New tuber! & speaker kits

New tuber! & speaker kits Empty New tuber! & speaker kits

Post by Guest Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:22 am

Just thought I'd do a quick intro!
    I am not new to electronics, used to work in the industry some years back now. But I am relatively new to tube amps.
    In the early 70's, I used to repair b&w tube TV's as a hobby, so its time to get back into it!
    Am about to order the ST70 kit, so am looking forward to the sweet sound of tubes and to listen to my old vinyl's, some dating back to the mid 60's!

On another subject, I am looking for some speakers to go with the ST70, am quite happy to buy in kit form, don't really need a big 'Rolling Stones' set, would appreciate pointers, thank you.
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:32 pm

Hey Montana -- have a great time building this kit -- I sure did. Make sure you pop for the upgrades.
    I am running either Klipsch Forte's or Paradigm Studio 10 V5's. Quite the difference in size and sensitivity (97 to 89 respectively) but it all depends on what you want to hear. Horns vs standard upper end. I have a taste for both depending on genre I'm listening to. I do support the low end on the Paradigm's with minor and I mean minor support from a Velodyne sub which is not needed with Forte's. Have not built speakers since college days drunken  but just wanted to give you an idea, size wise. The ST-70 makes them both sound really sweet but different.

New tuber! & speaker kits Empty Re: New tuber! & speaker kits

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:37 pm

hey Brap,

thanks for the reply. I ended up with a pair of Klipsch RB600-BK's, I am sure they will do justice to the ST70.
    I looked at a number of speaker kits, a lot of really high end (read cost) that I'm just not prepared to spend at this moment in time.
    Took some convincing my wife to get the ST70, don't want to push my luck!!  Very Happy 
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:45 pm

Hey Montana -- no problem, those should really sing. Are you getting the attenuator option or do you run a pre-amp with some tone control circuitry? I bought the upgrade form Bob and just keep it at Max, running through the Parasound Halo P5 preamp where I can adjust the tone a bit to help out. Convince the wife? -- Good for you. With all the parts and stuf fI have lying around, I spun this as a rebuild and buried costs into the Christmas list! Evil or Very Mad  If she really fouund out  Rolling Eyes  She oes enjoy the music though....

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:14 pm

Brap wrote:Hey Montana -- no problem, those should really sing.  Are you getting the attenuator option or do you run a pre-amp with some tone control circuitry?  I bought the upgrade form Bob and just keep it at Max, running through the Parasound Halo P5 preamp where I can adjust the tone a bit to help out. Convince the wife? -- Good for you. With all the parts and stuf fI have lying around, I spun this as a rebuild and buried costs into the Christmas list! Evil or Very Mad  If she really fouund out  Rolling Eyes   She oes enjoy the music though....

for now I have opted for the attenuator, a separate pre amp is not in the budget right now, in any case, for now, only be using a turntable (with built in phono amp).
    Down the track I would like to be able to adjust treble, bass and balance with additional input options, maybe later in the year.
    I see a member here built a tube based equalizer, I did leave a post asking for the diagram, but it is an old post, not sure if that member still lurks around here now and then, would love to have a look at that!
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:20 pm

I too got back into Vinyl but also play SACD and I-tunes so needed a decent pre-amp. Running a Rega 1 with Bias 2 upgrade. Received some nice 200 gram vinyl for Christmas and really enjoying it. It's cool to compare a recording on different formats.
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:24 pm

Hopefully the pics come out here.....

Post by Guest Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:52 pm

Brap wrote:Hopefully the pics come out here.....

no pics here......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am