The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

VTA ST120 - is it necessary to power off amp to change speaker wire?

guentherj2
    guentherj2

VTA ST120 - is it necessary to power off amp to change speaker wire? Empty VTA ST120 - is it necessary to power off amp to change speaker wire?

Post by guentherj2 Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:04 pm

Greetings all.

I'm testing different speaker wires and was wondering if it is OK to disconnect and reconnect speaker wire without powering off the amp. Of course I would not play any source during changing.

Thanks,

John

VTA ST120 - is it necessary to power off amp to change speaker wire? Empty Re: VTA ST120 - is it necessary to power off amp to change speaker wire?

Post by Guest Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:02 pm

well there are different schools of thought here.
    Some say its ok as long as the volume is turned down and no signal input.
    Some say it could cause problems with the output tubes and/or output transformer.
    Myself, I tend to err on the side of caution and would turn mine off, even if its only for swapping out speaker wires, thats just me.
    peterh
    peterh

VTA ST120 - is it necessary to power off amp to change speaker wire? Empty Re: VTA ST120 - is it necessary to power off amp to change speaker wire?

Post by peterh Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:45 am

guentherj2 wrote:Greetings all.

I'm testing different speaker wires and was wondering if it is OK to disconnect and reconnect speaker wire without powering off the amp. Of course I would not play any source during changing.

Thanks,

John
    I think the st-120 is stable under this BUT
    to be shure you could connect / install a resistor 100ohm/5w across the speaker outputs on the amp, thus giving the amp some load under any circumstances. It's small enough
    load not to affect power but large enough to prevent surplus voltages.
    In fact, it should imho be installed as standard component.
    guentherj2
    guentherj2

Post by guentherj2 Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:42 pm

Interesting. I also tend to err on the side of caution so for the time being I'm having to power on and off and waiting which makes the comparison challenging.

So you (peterh) keep a 100ohm/5w resistor across each of your speaker output terminals on your amp? This has no affect on sound when playing music?

Thanks for the feedback. I'll wait for more before doing anything differently.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:59 pm

guentherj2 wrote:Interesting. I also tend to err on the side of caution so for the time being I'm having to power on and off and waiting which makes the comparison challenging.

So you (peterh) keep a 100ohm/5w resistor across each of your speaker output terminals on your amp?  This has no affect on sound when playing music?

Thanks for the feedback. I'll wait for more before doing anything differently.
    No i don't since i do not change speakers and they are connected with screw terminals.
    But when i know that speakers might be interrupted installing a resistor will be an extra insurance. I have done this at other installations.
    It has negligible impact on sound ( speakers are a very much more demanding load!).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm