The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

simplifying inputs/outputs on pas3

alyosha

simplifying inputs/outputs on pas3 Empty simplifying inputs/outputs on pas3

Post by alyosha Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:00 am

Hi,

I'm in the process of changing the selector switch on a pas3. I'll be only using Tuner, CD and 2 Aux outputs as an external phono stage is dedicated to lp listening. I already have a 2x6 selector switch and 20awg teflon cable.
    Any idea/diagram/recommendation would be welcome.

Thank you very much in advance.
    Best.
    TN Allen

simplifying inputs/outputs on pas3 Empty Re: simplifying inputs/outputs on pas3

Post by TN Allen Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:21 am

alyosha wrote:Hi,

I'm in the process of changing the selector switch on a pas3. I'll be only using Tuner, CD and 2 Aux outputs as an external phono stage is dedicated to lp listening. I already have a 2x6 selector switch and 20awg teflon cable.
    Any idea/diagram/recommendation would be welcome.

Thank you very much in advance.
    Best.

I did something similar, 4 L&R inputs, though one set is phono, and eliminated all of the slide swiches along the bottom of the front panel as well as the blend switch. It has worked out well, other than a few small empty holes in the panel. Mr. Mottram had a diagram as I recall that he sent me when I used his upgrade kits.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:02 pm

Post by Guest Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:08 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
    alyosha

Post by alyosha Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:25 pm

Thank you for your responses.
    I already do have RCA connectors prepared just like 'tubes4hifi' posted it (thanks again!).
    My ss is this one: http://www.audiophonics.fr/alps-selecteur-2x6-positions-stereo-p-5333.html
    The only info I have got were found on this site: http://www.curcioaudio.com/PAS%20SSW%20SUPPLIMENT.pdf

Shall I just follow these instructions or should I operate another way?

Thanks again for your feedback, look forward to hearing from your inputs.

Post by Guest Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:33 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    alyosha

Post by alyosha Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:48 pm

Thanks Peter.

These are the exact specs of the ss I will use: http://www.alps.com/WebObjects/catalog.woa/E/HTML/Switch/Rotary/SRRM/SRRM264300.html

Any idea if it's feasible?
    Thanks again.
    stewdan

Post by stewdan Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Hi Alyosha --

There were a group of Forum Posts dealing with replacing the PAS Selector Switch, complete with some wiring diagrams.  Here are the Titles and the names of the author and the dates. There maybe more?!

#1 -- PAS Selector Switch Replacement
    by maninmac771 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:37 pm

#2 -- Ground connections for PAS-2 selector switch and input/output connectors
    by maninmac771 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:08 am

#3 -- PAS Selector
    by Pillo69 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:14 am

#4 -- Replacing Selector Switch on PAS 3
    by jerdobi on Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:29 pm

#5 -- Source for new, upgraded selector switch for PAS3 upgade
    by Elrick on Fri May 03, 2013 12:36 pm

I used the Forum's SEARCH function with 'pas selector switch' as the seach field (without the '....' single quotes.  You can tailor the search info to suit your needs.  

Also, somewhere I came across replacement PAS selector switch wiring info, I think by Roy Mottram of "tubes4hifi"....maybe at his website??

You can also do a google type web search for "replacement PAS selector switch wiring" and see what turns up.

Note: Either way, you will have figure out  and know how the actual replacement switch functions.  By that I mean which pairs of tabs on switch are the left and right tab for a position.  I used a multimeter with a continuity test and connected two tabs by a wire with small aligator clips at each end. You could also probably use the resistence check on the multimeter with the same wire.

Hope this info helps,
    Stew
    alyosha

Post by alyosha Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:07 pm

Thanks !
    I'll go through those links, hopefully I'll find a way to do it.
    Thanks again Stew... and all of you for your help.

Post by Guest Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:40 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    alyosha

Post by alyosha Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:51 pm

Thanks.
    Yep, just found a post about this issue... I think I will order another switch, only matter is it will take time if shipped from the US.
    Thanks again.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:52 pm

I always use a shorting type selector (make before break) so there is no "pop" when switching inputs
    alyosha

Post by alyosha Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:04 pm

Thanks Roy, I'll see what I can do with my rotary switch, hope I'll manage to find what these numbers mean.
    Thanks again.
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:00 pm

alyosha wrote:Thanks Roy, I'll see what I can do with my rotary switch, hope I'll manage to find what these numbers mean.
    Thanks again.

I would suggest that you take a fine point permanent marker and label the switch contacts using the following procedure:

(1) The two inner contact tabs are the outputs of the switch. Mark one left (L) and one right (R). The twelve outer contacts are the inputs from your jack panel and are labeled according to step (2) through step (6)
    (2) Make sure the switch is rotated fully counter clockwise from the shaft side perspective.
    (3) Use the multimeter to determine which of the outer contacts is connected to the inner (R) contact and label that outer contact (R1).  
    (4) Rotate the switch one step clockwise and again use the multimeter to find the next outer contact which is connected to the inner (R) contact and label that outer contact (R2). Repeat this step until you have labeled contacts (R1) through (R6).
    (5) Repeat steps two through four above for the left (L) channel.
    (6) When completed your switch should be labeled (L) and (R) on the two inner contacts and on the outer contacts; (L1) through (L6) on one half and (R1) through (R6) on the other half.

I hope this will help to clarify how to wire your switch.

Best Regards,
    Charlie
    alyosha

Post by alyosha Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:38 pm

Thank you for your help Charlie.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:49 am