The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+4
kygeezer
daveshel
stewdan
wildiowa
8 posters

Assign speakers thru pre-amp

wildiowa

Assign speakers thru pre-amp Empty Assign speakers thru pre-amp

Post by wildiowa Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:20 pm

Until I can land a Dyna pre-amp to run the ST-70 I have been using an Advent Model 300. Not many inputs and not very versatile. Yesterday a friend brought over a H-K Citation 11 preamp and I took it for $40. After looking at it and the weight it had I thought hey, this is a power amp. But it looks like it is only a pre-amp, with a feature to run the speakers back thru from the power amp and assign them with the Cit 11. I checked it out and seems some early Dyna pre-amps had the same feature.  Guess the logic is that the power amp would be stashed away somewhere separate and all you needed would be on one component to run your system.

Interesting concept, wondered what size cable they used to run from the amp back to the pre-amp. Seems that would be the weak spot given the potential tube power and big speakers common to that era. It didn't seem to be done very long as I have never seen this before. The thing also weighs a ton, early SS I guess. While I'm at it anyone have experience with these or an opinion on quality/sound/etc.? Thx....
    stewdan

Assign speakers thru pre-amp Empty Re: Assign speakers thru pre-amp

Post by stewdan Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:27 pm

Hello again --- funny that you should ask about the 11!!

See the following link:
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=228849

Also, just do a google search on "Citation 11 preamp".  Lots of stuff shows up.

Have fun,
    Stew
    daveshel
    daveshel

Post by daveshel Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:28 pm

Actually it was Dynaco's last preamp, the PAT-5, that had a speaker selector switch. It was fine as long as you weren't using anything fatter than zip cord.
    kygeezer

Post by kygeezer Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:30 pm

I beg to differ! I used a PAT-5 with a Stereo120 for many years with Monster cable 12 or 10 gauge wire from amp to preamp and preamp to speakers. The "secret" was to use dual banana plugs. Oh you youngsters!
    daveshel
    daveshel

Post by daveshel Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:17 pm

kygeezer wrote:I beg to differ!  I used a PAT-5 with a Stereo120 for many years with Monster cable 12 or 10 gauge wire from amp to preamp and preamp to speakers. The "secret" was to use dual banana plugs. Oh you youngsters!

Wow, you're right - I just happen to have one nearby and sure enough. I must have stopped using the switch before I started using bananas.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:28 pm

doesn't anybody know how to use "google" ?
    wildiowa

Post by wildiowa Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:55 pm

Google is always a first stop but nice to throw some things out to a community you kind of know and trust rather than sorting through a bunch of anonymous hooey and who knows what. Or maybe not I guess. No need to go all Grandpa Simpson. Now I am going to kick the cat.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:04 pm

don't kick the cat - and actually using these forums really is the best way to get accurate info from people
    ruffian

Post by ruffian Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:23 am

I have a Marantz 3300 with the same isolated speaker selection. On the Marantz it is fed by plain old speaker wire. Looks like the citation needs a DIN connector. Unless you really want to be able to switch speaker you might as well just ignore it
    GP49

Post by GP49 Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:26 pm

tubes4hifi wrote:don't kick the cat - and actually using these forums really is the best way to get
    accurate info from people

THIS forum, yes.

There is a popular forum, name starts with "A," where the knowledge level is considerably lower.
    Probably almost half the answers on that forum are based on hearsay and popular belief, not real
    experience. The big craze over there for a while was 1970s Japanese receivers, which some would
    have you believe could be made to sound about 35,746% better if you replaced all the capacitors.

Some were dumb enough to replace critically-specified capacitors in the FM tuners, after which
    they would drift as the operating temperature changed...
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:44 pm

This forum is the BEST I actually found it while Goggling audio tube amp kits over a year and a half ago and I check it every day.
    I continue to be amazed at the level of expertise and willingness to help Dynaco owners of all skill levels over come basic to complex problems this forum is truly made up of some incredibly generous and talented people.
    I bought an VTA ST-120 from Bob and have been one happy camper ever since! 
    Thanks to all You know who you are!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:07 am