The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products


    Dynaco speakers

    Share

    Guest
    Guest

    Dynaco speakers

    Post by Guest on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:18 am

    I see quite a few Dynaco speakers for sale on various sites and am just wondering if they are any good, if yes, any particular models that stand out, do any members here own or have owned a set.

    j beede

    Posts : 339
    Join date : 2011-02-07
    Location : California

    Re: Dynaco speakers

    Post by j beede on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:48 am

    I enjoyed my A-25, remarkable sound for a 45 year old speaker. The grilles are glued on--that is not a feature. I found them to be lacking in near field applications but very pleasant with a listening distance of 10' or more.

    stewdan

    Posts : 161
    Join date : 2010-03-07
    Age : 78
    Location : Houston Texas

    Re: Dynaco speakers

    Post by stewdan on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:51 am

    Hi -- I have a pair of the original Dynaco A25's and they are a well made and good sounding speaker.  The Woofer Surround is a butyl rubber and not foam, so in theory, they don't have to be replaced.

    In all honesty though, I prefer the sound of my original Advents (or the slightly newer Advent A3 or A4) to the Dynaco A25's .... Just one man's opinion.

    For your info, someone on the Forum (back in 2013, I think) posted about a modern Clone of the Dynaco A25.

    Have fun!

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Dynaco speakers

    Post by Guest on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:37 pm

    thanks for the input. I was really just wondering out loud, there are quite a few out there by the looks of things.
    As I am upgrading my system, I will probably end up building my own speakers, but thats quite a bit down the track for now.

    deepee99

    Posts : 1361
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: Dynaco speakers

    Post by deepee99 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:26 pm

    MontanaWay wrote:thanks for the input. I was really just wondering out loud, there are quite a few out there by the looks of things.
    As I am upgrading my system, I will probably end up building my own speakers, but thats quite a bit down the track for now.

    I have had great luck with A-25s and now a pair of A-35s using them in my sand system in the den. Be prepared to spend almost $100 to ship a pair.

    daveshel

    Posts : 149
    Join date : 2011-11-07
    Location : Tucson AZ USA

    Re: Dynaco speakers

    Post by daveshel on Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:25 pm

    And I'm loving deepee99's former A-25a. Thanks,d!

    deepee99

    Posts : 1361
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: Dynaco speakers

    Post by deepee99 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:31 pm

    daveshel wrote:And I'm loving deepee99's former A-25a. Thanks,d!

    Dave, glad to hear that. Again, I would suggest to anyone contemplating the antique Dynaco speaks that they will benefit greatly from a little EQ: an old Audio Control 520 5-bander on any of the auction sites for <$75.00 works well with them.

    Cheerio
    Dave

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Dynaco speakers

    Post by Guest on Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:59 pm

    deepee99 wrote:
    daveshel wrote:And I'm loving deepee99's former A-25a. Thanks,d!

    Dave, glad to hear that. Again, I would suggest to anyone contemplating the antique Dynaco speaks that they will benefit greatly from a little EQ: an old Audio Control 520 5-bander on any of the auction sites for <$75.00 works well with them.

    Cheerio
    Dave

    or my up and coming stereo 'Blonder-Tongue' EQ :-)

    pmarcin

    Posts : 132
    Join date : 2009-01-20
    Age : 69

    Re: Dynaco speakers

    Post by pmarcin on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:44 am

    mmm


    Last edited by pmarcin on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : redundant)

    pmarcin

    Posts : 132
    Join date : 2009-01-20
    Age : 69

    Re: Dynaco speakers

    Post by pmarcin on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:46 am

    I have a pair of the original Dynaco A25's and they are a well made and good sounding speaker. The Woofer Surround is a butyl rubber and not foam, so in theory, they don't have to be replaced. In all honesty though, I prefer the sound of my original Advents (or the slightly newer Advent A3 or A4) to the Dynaco A25's .... Just one man's opinion. wrote:

    This was my experience exactly in the '70s. I also had the aperiodic KLH 33s. In recent years, I bought a Chinese clone A-25 with clone drivers. They  weren't up to current offerings.

    Super upgrade for3 big bucks:A-26


    Last edited by pmarcin on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:53 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : errors)

    deepee99

    Posts : 1361
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: Dynaco speakers

    Post by deepee99 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:19 pm

    pmarcin wrote:

    This was my experience exactly in the '70s. I also had the aperiodic KLH 33s. In recent years, I bought a Chinese clone A-25 with clone drivers. They  weren't up to current offerings.

    Super upgrade for3 big bucks:A-26

    Four big ones if you buy the cabinets and upgrade the caps!
    FWIW, I mounted my A-25s (now -35s) on dampened brackets above the desk and on a whim one day turned 'em upside-down. They sound a lot better up close now.


    Sponsored content

    Re: Dynaco speakers

    Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:07 am


      Current date/time is Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:07 am