The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Subwoofer with ST-35

fedoragent

Subwoofer with ST-35

Post by fedoragent on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:13 am

Folks,

I have acquired some Minimus 7w speakers but they don't deliver quite the bass punch as I would like. I have them hooked up to my ST-35 and it got me to thinking about using a passive subwoofer. Therefore I have two questions after attempting to search first.

1. Has anyone ever used a subwoofer with an ST-35, or maybe even a ST-70?
    2. Would I hook the subwoofer up like it were a center speaker?

Thanks ahead of time. You guy are awesome.

FG.

mazeeff

Re: Subwoofer with ST-35

Post by mazeeff on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:57 am

I use a powered Veledyne CT-120 subwoofer with my ST-70. My ST-70 has the stock power transformer, which sags a bit on bass. The Veledyne adds 120W of adjustable bass, and allows me to run my preamp into the subwoofer, and then out to the ST-70. The sub's crossover removes the low frequency content prior to getting to ST-70. In my case, it makes a big difference in listening pleasure. I am using a pair of Bose 301's on the ST-70, and they were lacking in bass.

Mike

Brap

Post by Brap on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:10 am

I too have a Velodyne sub (active) connected with Paradigm Studio 10 speakers but run this all through a Parasound pre-amp. Have the volume attenuator fully clockwise on the ST-70. The preamp has a sub output and its own volume control and a sub volume control so I can adjust accordingly.

mazeeff

Post by mazeeff on Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:31 pm

I use a old Onkyo 787 5.1 receiver as a pre-amp. It has full 7.1 pre-outs. I can use the Onkyo sub pre-amp out with my Veledyne CT-120, or the line in/out's on the CT-120 Sub itself. Just about any 5.1/7.1 receiver with pre-amp outputs should work to bi-amp the outputs, and move the bass from the Dynaco.

sKiZo

Post by sKiZo on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:05 pm

Does the Velodyne have an adjustable high pass filter to control the cutoff? My only concern would be letting the tubes see everything they're capable of handling, as they tend to be more detailed and revealing.

I imagine setting your high pass properly on the sub could also take a lot of load off the stock iron on your amp. From what I understand, that was running close to the edge when new, and I don't imagine it's gotten any better with time.

Just talking off the top of my head here, as I've got really really big speakers and went with an ST120 ... only thing sagging here is me!  geek 

mazeeff

Post by mazeeff on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:15 pm

sKiZo wrote:Does the Velodyne have an adjustable high pass filter to control the cutoff?  geek 

Yes. The Veledyne CT-120 has a adjustable high pass filter. I have mine set to 100Hz.

Brap

Post by Brap on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:17 pm

Yes -- the old dog FSR-12 does however, I have it set to minimum for low and max for high since the pre-amp has it's own adjustable cutoffs on the back and I use that instead. Again, the velodyne is an active (powered) sub so no issues with the St-70 I have for the mains. I just got the Parasound Halo P-5 preamp so I am still playing but it sure is a versatile piece with a very nice phono pre-amp.

Brap

Post by Brap on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:17 pm

Yes -- the old dog FSR-12 does however, I have it set to minimum for low and max for high since the pre-amp has it's own adjustable cutoffs on the back and I use that instead. Again, the velodyne is an active (powered) sub so no issues with the St-70 I have for the mains. I just got the Parasound Halo P-5 preamp so I am still playing but it sure is a versatile piece with a very nice phono pre-amp.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:45 am

Current date/time is Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:45 am