The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Preamp Poll

TMadden
    TMadden

Preamp Poll Empty Preamp Poll

Post by TMadden Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:47 am

Hello Everyone,

I would like to take a kind of a “poll”. I’m wondering how many of you would be more likely to purchase an assembled SP12-13 or 14 preamp if we offered them with all Elma controls (same as Goldpoint uses).
    We do offer that option now, for about $400, that’s our cost in small quantities, we make them available basically as a courtesy to the customer.
    I am thinking about making a fairly substantial investment to purchase a quantity of the Elma controls, and could then push that cost down to about $300. I know that’s still a significant amount of money,
    but I think it’s worth it, the SP12-13-14 are very fine preamps, and I feel that with the high quality and luxury “feel” of the Elma controls, it would put them in a class with the very best.

Thanks Guys!
    daveshel
    daveshel

Preamp Poll Empty Re: Preamp Poll

Post by daveshel Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:07 pm

I would be more interested in a passive attenuator solution. I know the parts are available to add one to an amp, but I don't have room for that on my ST-35 because the EFB board takes up all the upward-facing space. So I'd like something external to control volume and possibly switch between a couple of inputs.
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:11 pm

Since you asked, I like the improved control(s), but in kit form and hopefully with a remote!!!

Post by Guest Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:25 pm

is there really going to be such a noticeable difference between using say ALPS and Elma, to make the increased cost of the Elma worth while?
    TMadden
    TMadden

Post by TMadden Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:51 pm

MontanaWay wrote:is there really going to be such a noticeable difference between using say ALPS and Elma, to make the increased cost of the Elma worth while?

I'll still be using ALP's volume and balance controls in any SP9's, 10's or standard SP12's. The ALP's balance controls will no longer be available at some point, so we will have to find an alternative. In the SP12SE, the SP 13 and 14 we use stepped attenuators instead of rotary potentiometers. The Elma's will not sound significantly better than what we have been using, but they are very high quality and have superior tactile feel, and should last a life-time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:19 am