The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

uninterruptible power supply

MontanaWay

uninterruptible power supply

Post by MontanaWay on Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:31 pm

has anyone ever used or considered using a UPS for the amp, not so much for backup when power fails, but more for a 'almost guaranteed' clean stable mains supply, irrespective of mains fluctuations.

deepee99

Re: uninterruptible power supply

Post by deepee99 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:31 pm

MontanaWay wrote:has anyone ever used or considered using a UPS for the amp, not so much for backup when power fails, but more for a 'almost guaranteed' clean stable mains supply, irrespective of mains fluctuations.

Montana
    I use a Furman SPR 20i which clamps the voltage on the high side at 121 VAC or wherever you want to set it. We get some pretty wild line voltage fluctuations here; six deep mines in operation, each with a 2,000 horsepower shaft, plus compressors and mills that go on and off line. I've measured as low as 114 VAC and as high as 128. The Furman ain't cheap, about 2 large, but you get protection up to 140 volts input from the wall, after which it commits suicide. I don't worry about low voltage, but overvolt is murder on our stuff.

The other essential component in your power connection is a MANUAL RESET ground-fault interrupter (GFI). It protects you from those 30-second power-off-on blips that can fry any Dynaco or VTA power supply. They're about $30 on Amazon or probably Radium Shack. With a manual reset, when the juice goes off, it doesn't come back on until you wait about a beer's length, then reach around behind the hutch and reset it. Keeps all them gadgets and capacitors and things out of harm's way. GFI's also come with auto-reset, which defeats the whole purpose of having one to protect your toobs.
    Here's the one I have:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tower-Manufacturing-30338018-08-In-Line-Connectors/dp/B0049B3DJG/ref=sr_1_3?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1398561339&sr=1-3&keywords=in-line+ground+fault+interrupter

ruffian

Post by ruffian on Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:05 pm

What you are talking about is a power conditioner, not just a UPS. If you decide to go that route be sure you know what you are getting.

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:06 pm

ruffian wrote:What you are talking about is a power conditioner, not just a UPS.  If you decide to go that route be sure you know what you are getting.    
    Agreed. If you were going to go minimalist, go with the $30 manual GFI. Power spikes are intermittent and you're not likely to cook anything; it's that 30-second on-off from the line that fries our stuff. Filaments and plates can take a 10 percent overvolt or undervolt if it ain't too long, and you'll know because your house-lights will tell you. It's that quick bang-on after an outage that's bad. Not so much the spike as the timing.

MontanaWay

Post by MontanaWay on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:08 pm

OK, good advise. Sure as heck is cheaper than a UPS too!, thanks guys!

sKiZo

Post by sKiZo on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:47 pm

deepee99 wrote:
    The other essential component in your power connection is a MANUAL RESET ground-fault interrupter (GFI). It protects you from those 30-second power-off-on blips that can fry any Dynaco or VTA power supply. They're about $30 on Amazon or probably Radium Shack. With a manual reset, when the juice goes off, it doesn't come back on until you wait about a beer's length, then reach around behind the hutch and reset it. Keeps all them gadgets and capacitors and things out of harm's way. GFI's also come with auto-reset, which defeats the whole purpose of having one to protect your toobs.

Yup ... the ones that are in your house panel are worthless when it comes to blips and the damage they can do to tube equipment. The GFCI part isn't really an issue - it's the manual reset that's important. That allows you to let the amp "rest" and discharge properly before you hit it with another slug of juice. Couple minutes before resetting it does the trick.

I went with this one ... down to $18 now at Amazon ... came in handy just a couple weeks ago when Ma Nature had a hissy fit in my neck 'o da woods ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XVG72G/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MontanaWay

Post by MontanaWay on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:51 pm

sKiZo wrote:
    deepee99 wrote:

Yup ... the ones that are in your house panel are worthless when it comes to blips and the damage they can do to tube equipment. The GFCI part isn't really an issue - it's the manual reset that's important. That allows you to let the amp "rest" and discharge properly before you hit it with another slug of juice. Couple minutes before resetting it does the trick.

I went with this one ... down to $18 now at Amazon ... came in handy just a couple weeks ago when Ma Nature had a hissy fit in my neck 'o da woods ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XVG72G/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so this is manual reset as well?, does not really say on the description

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:07 pm

MontanaWay wrote:
    sKiZo wrote:
    deepee99 wrote:

so this is manual reset as well?, does not really say on the description
    I read down through the reviews and it appears that it is manual reset. Somebody was bitching about the fish in his aquarium getting cold when he wasn't home 'cuz he had to manually reset it. Get one rated for at least 15 amps. Ideally, you should go down to your electrical panel and dedicate one 20-amp breaker to the outlet you're using to power up your sound system with. That's about as good as a "power conditioner" can do for you, and for 2 kilobucks less.

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:22 pm

I should add that the circuit be dedicated to only your sound system outlet, so if the wife fires up her hair-dryer or blender you won't get any spurious AC noise (as if you could hear it over a hair-dryer or blender). That way at least you don't get internal voltage swings.
    I guess I was a bit silly to buy the Furman, but it's fun to see how much juice you're pulling out of the wall when the Big Tubes are working hard. With the GZ-33s and Vandersteen subwoofs with the M-125s and Roy's two pre-amps and a fairly serious need for R&R I can pull 9 amps. That's um, times 120 VAC, about 1,000 watts. It's fun to hit that target, although the neighbours get uppity.
    Haven't tried sKIzo's lamp shades on the rectifiers yet, but temptation draweth nigh.

MontanaWay

Post by MontanaWay on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:51 pm

deepee99 wrote:I should add that the circuit be dedicated to only your sound system outlet, so if the wife fires up her hair-dryer or blender you won't get any spurious AC noise (as if you could hear it over a hair-dryer or blender). That way at least you don't get internal voltage swings.
    I guess I was a bit silly to buy the Furman, but it's fun to see how much juice you're pulling out of the wall when the Big Tubes are working hard. With the GZ-33s and Vandersteen subwoofs with the M-125s and Roy's two pre-amps and a fairly serious need for R&R I can pull 9 amps. That's um, times 120 VAC, about 1,000 watts. It's fun to hit that target, although the neighbours get uppity.
    Haven't tried sKIzo's lamp shades on the rectifiers yet, but temptation draweth nigh.

I have never seen my wife use a hair dryer.......... What a Face

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:52 pm

MontanaWay wrote:
    deepee99 wrote:I should add that the circuit be dedicated to only your sound system outlet, so if the wife fires up her hair-dryer or blender you won't get any spurious AC noise (as if you could hear it over a hair-dryer or blender). That way at least you don't get internal voltage swings.

Not a pretty sight.

MontanaWay

Post by MontanaWay on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:55 pm

deepee99 wrote:
    MontanaWay wrote:

Not a pretty sight.

what...my wife??  cyclops 

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:57 pm

MontanaWay wrote:
    deepee99 wrote:
    MontanaWay wrote:

Not a pretty sight.

Nah, it's the SOUND. Shoulda made that clear.

MontanaWay

Post by MontanaWay on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:58 pm

deepee99 wrote:
    MontanaWay wrote:
    deepee99 wrote:
    MontanaWay wrote:

Not a pretty sight.

Nah, it's the SOUND. Shoulda made that clear.

lol! 

MontanaWay

Post by MontanaWay on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:02 pm

just ordered one...have to wait to plug it in until mid May, I am heading to Australia for two weeks at the end of this week to visit my mum and catch up with friends.

ruffian

Post by ruffian on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:05 pm

If you want to see what your power draw is just get one of those kill-o-watt plug in meter things.

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:17 pm

MontanaWay wrote:just ordered one...have to wait to plug it in until mid May, I am heading to Australia for two weeks at the end of this week to visit my mum and catch up with friends.
    That's a long haul to Oz, even from the left coast.
    Am going to central Africa in two weeks. Maybe this board needs cooling down.
    Have lots of friends in Oz, only second trip to Africa. Here's my prep-tune, by Tom Russell
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvWgwAy0XjQ&feature=kp

MontanaWay

Post by MontanaWay on Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:04 pm

its only 26hrs door to door..........have done this trip since the 80's...lost count the amount of times I crossed the pacific!....have a good one in Africa...only continent I've not been to!

sKiZo

Post by sKiZo on Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:39 am

Just ordered one what ... a wife?
    (ba dump dump)

For those who wonder about the manual reset bit on the one I posted ...

To prevent unmonitored equipment startup, manual reset is required after GFCI trip and power outage.  Available in yellow with button boots or white.  Provides compliance with National Electric Code (NEC 2008) Article 590.6 for "Temporary Installations".

http://www.trci.net/products/shock-shield/user-attachables/single-outlet-adapter

MontanaWay

Post by MontanaWay on Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:40 am

sKiZo wrote:Just ordered one what ... a wife?
    (ba dump dump)

For those who wonder about the manual reset bit on the one I posted ...

To prevent unmonitored equipment startup, manual reset is required after GFCI trip and power outage.  Available in yellow with button boots or white.  Provides compliance with National Electric Code (NEC 2008) Article 590.6 for "Temporary Installations".

http://www.trci.net/products/shock-shield/user-attachables/single-outlet-adapter

heck no...one's enough!!!  affraid 

MontanaWay

Post by MontanaWay on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:16 pm

well I got my GFCI today and it has been plugged into the wall. Hopefully it will do its job when needed!

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:57 pm

MontanaWay wrote:well I got my GFCI today and it has been plugged into the wall. Hopefully it will do its job when needed!
    Cool. Don't forget to turn you toobs off when you leave for Oz. The power bill will astound.

MontanaWay

Post by MontanaWay on Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:21 pm

deepee99 wrote:
    MontanaWay wrote:well I got my GFCI today and it has been plugged into the wall. Hopefully it will do its job when needed!
    Cool. Don't forget to turn you toobs off when you leave for Oz. The power bill will astound.

might reduce the heating bill though........... Shocked 

sKiZo

Post by sKiZo on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:13 pm

Stick your tongue in the nearest socket ... that should test the system for ya ...

They DO have a test button them ... if that trips the doohickey, you should be golden.

MontanaWay

Post by MontanaWay on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:17 pm

heck no...I've done enough electrical tongue testing in my earlier days!!!!!!  affraid 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:39 am

Current date/time is Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:39 am